What's new

Sony EP9ES decoder replacement? (1 Viewer)

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
My old EP9ES AC-3 decoder has been acting flaky lately, and I'm looking at replacing it with something newer. Here's my list of desired features:
- A standalone AC3 decoder/preamp with discrete 5.1 outputs to my existing power amp
- Excellent audio quality (low noise floor)
- Speaker configurability (small center, large mains, small surrounds)
- Analog bypass mode (analog 5.1 in to analog 5.1 out)
- Price ideally under $500
Here are things I don't care about and don't especially want to pay for:
- Lots of DSP simulated surround modes and other bells and whistles
- Anything beyond 5.1 channel output (just plain DD, thanks)
- DTS
The EP9ES was a good match for my needs because it didn't do anything but what I needed. It replaced my initial DD decoder purchase, an older, cheaper Sony model (SDP-E800, if I remember right) that had so much DAC noise in the surrounds I couldn't stand to be in the same room with it. I definitely don't want to make a similar mistake this time. Who makes a high-quality, low-frills Dolby Digital decoder these days?
[Edited last by John Miles on October 25, 2001 at 03:46 AM]

Martice

Screenwriter
Well in this day and age, it seems that for the money that you're looking to spend you may have to buy a receiver and cut your loses on the amplification. Besides, most of the receivers in that price range have very generous (feature) offerings. Although I've heard that it's a very nice receiver altogether, the Outlaw Audio 1050 is a nice alternative as a pre/pro at $499.00 and I've seen it go for $450.00 new as well. However, if you have a system made up of seperates, the must have pre/pro for lots of people on this forum seems to be the soon released Outlaw Audio 950 for $900.00. So you have receivers with more features than your Sony processor and cost less than it did when it was first released.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.