Sony DVPS9000ES Playing CD-R's ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Moritz, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Does anyone else have problems playingback cd-r media in there Sony 9000ES dvd player? I recently purchased the 9000ES and was unable to play a cd-r with music on it. The unit just freaks out trying to read the media. Has anyone else had this problem? I have an older Denon DCD-1290 that is around 9-10 years old and it plays cd-r just fine :b . Although I really do like the unit overall this one thing I am disapointed in. The player is built like a tank and the performance is very nice [​IMG] . I am always critical of anything Sony makes but this player hits a big home run. Hopefully soon I will be able to get a HD Mitsubishi big screen so I can use the progressive scan part of the Sony.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dave, the 'S9000ES does not play CD-Rs. Sony only began incorporating CD-R compatibility into its DVD players in 2001, meaning in models released after the 'S9000ES. While the lack of CD-R playback is an inconvenience, there is nothing wrong with your player.

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I haven't tried many CD-Rs in mine, but they usually work. I use the Fujifilm CD-Rs and some folks have had good luck with Sony CD-Rs.

OT: Next, try a 2-channel SACD through a straight analog path-now that's something!

4. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

From Crutchfield:

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I should have mentioned in my first post that some people have reported getting CD-Rs to work in older Sony DVD players. As I recall, silver CD-Rs work well. Still, a lot of CD-Rs do not work with these Sony players. My brother has an 'S9000ES, and it would not read my TDK and Memorex CD-Rs (blue discs).

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thanks
    I didn't take the time to read the manual and just assumed it would play it. I also just thought for some dum reason that it was compatible with cd-r's. Oooops :b . I have a Denon DCD-1290 that is about 8 to 9 years old and it plays cd-r's just fine, lmao. Yes I have to agree that the Sony 9000ES is a very nice player and I am very happy with it. It replaced my Pioneer 525 DVD player. The cd-r I was using was the silver Memorex cd-r. Thanks for the info[​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dave, the vast majority of CD players out there, new and old, play CD-Rs without problems. However, many early DVD players could not play CD-Rs. It just so happens that most CD-Rs are invisible to the DVD laser. As a result, many manufacturers began using "dual-laser" assemblies, which have one laser for DVDs and one for CDs. The CD laser reads CD-Rs. Pioneer began incorporating a dual-laser assembly in its DVD players early on, using what it calls a "Twin-Wave Laser" assembly. Ironically, Sony included a dual-laser assembly in its first-generation DVD players, but abandoned it to cost cuts in subsequent generations. Only recently did Sony bring the dual-laser assembly back. This occurred after release of the 'S9000ES.

8. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

The S9000ES uses the same optic assembly as the old DVPS360 ,DVPS560D and I think the 530 . Which means that it will have about the same basic limitations and lifespan as those machines.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steve, from what I have read here and on Audio Asylum, it seems that the 'S9000ES is far more reliable than Sony's third-generation DVD players, namely, the 'S360, 'S560D, and 'S570D. My brother has had the 'S9000ES for just under a year, and he has never had a problem with it.