Sony DVPNS500V - good at SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Hamm, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It looks like this DVD/CD/SACD player may be heading for the clearance racks post haste. Is it a good SACD player? That's all I care about as my Technics DVD-A10 is a very good CD player to my ears.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Philip, the 'NS500V is a solid SACD player considering the price. However, many on Audio Asylum and Matthew Anker here have said that the 'CE775 is better for the same money. I've listened to both, but unfortunately, not side-by-side. I owned the 'CE775 briefly and found it to be an excellent SACD player for the money. Since you have the 'A10 for DVDs, try to track down a 'CE775 for SACDs.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Phil. It is a very decent player. I bought one for my brother last year and at $179.99 with the 5 free DVDs they are going for these days it is not too bad. You are more than welcome to come over to his place sometime and listen to it if you like as he is local.

4. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

Pick up the current issue of "The Absolute Sound" (You'll know you've got the right issue if you see the 500V in the upper left corner of the cover). They review both the 500V and the CE775 (of course not side by side or anything useful like that ).[​IMG]
    Both were rated as competent CD players and very competent SACD players. The implication from the article is that you will have to get up to the $1,400 SACD player range before you can do better than these players (but note, they had not tried the 900V yet).
    Gregg

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Gregg, I'll have to check out that issue. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
    You said:

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The thing is the NS500V is about $20-30 less than the CE775. That will pay for one or two SACDs. Also, I don't have room in my rack for the CE775, but I do have room for the much lower footprint NS500V.
    Also, I was checking out these players at Best Buy yesterday and while neither will really look nice compared to some of the other beautiful components in my rack (CLD-99, DVD-A10) the CE775 is downright butt-ugly. [​IMG]
    The problem continues to be that there really is no compelling SACD product to me. I looked through Best Buy's selection and nothing jumped out at me. I bought and highly recommend the "A Night At The Opera" DVD-A though.

7. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yeah, that's what is holding me back. Even at $150 if there isn't compelling software what's the point? Just to have a check mark next to "formats supported"? When I got my DVD-A10 I was upgrading my old ProScan DVD player in every way and getting a fairly solid upsampling CD player as well. Also, I had one DVD-A and four DADs that would all benefit from the new machine. This machine would do nothing but SACD for me and I don't have a single disc. I can't find a good list of available SACDs, where is one?
    http://www.geocities.co.jp/Hollywood...4/dadsacd.html
    Is that one good?
    The DEVO and Talking Heads stuff coming is compelling, but I'm fairly sure those are Warner titles and will be on DVD-A.
    OTOH, I'm sure that sooner or later something's going to come out that I want. There's been talk of Steely Dan on SACD.
    The thing is this player is cheap as dirt right now for basically the same reason my DVD-A10 was cheap - no progressive scan. I'm concerned that in the future I won't be able to get a good quality SACD player for $150. Though I'd rather not spend that right now.
    Ah what to do?

9. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

The best place to find the available SACD's is to go to www.elusivedisc.com and then look under the SACD section.
    My personal opinion is SACD sounds better (closer to reality) than DVD-A, but not by much. The problem is that your format choice can depend on the type of music you like. SACD's titles tend to be jazz and classical where as DVD-A discs test to be more rock/contemporary.
    Which format will win? My opinion is... the one that no one is paying attention to... conventional CD with DTS 5.1 encoding.
    Gregg

10. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

Dudes,
    I have to agree the CE775 five disc change is the wayto go. Not much difference in that player from the ES models.
    HTadvice.com had an awesome writeup in their may spot light concerning sacd and they cover DVD-A this month.
    the sacd is :
    http://www.htadvice.com/home/spot_light_may2002.html
    I like SACD but think both formats rock. There's no demand for better so I think both formats will live in an afficianado manner like laserdisc did for so long.
    Hope this helps.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The Stones, The Who, and CCR are all coming out on SACD. I have a NS500V I found as an open box for $109 at Best Buy. It does a good job with SACD. You can go into the menu and set it to turn off the video circuits when playing music discs. I can't comment on the video performance as I have never played a DVD on it.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't like the Stones or CCR much, and the only Who album that's coming out is "My Generation" which IMO isn't a very good album. Not worth replacing my 20 year old vinyl version.

Now have Glyn Johns (with no interference from John Astley) remix and master just about anything post- "Sell Out" and I'll be interested.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Philip,
    Best Buy's selection of SACDs is rather poor. If you have a Tower Records in your area, check them out. Also, see the selection of SACDs available from www.elusivedisc.com , www.amusicdirect.com , and www.acousticsounds.com . There are a number of quality artists on SACD. Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Weather Report, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Bob Dylan immediately come to mind.
    Mike said:

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Philip, fair enough. I'm not sure there is anything the SACD format can do to impress you though. There is far more software out there on SACD and DVD-Audio, and SACD offers a number of first-rate artists. Just as a turntable could serve you better than an SACD player, it could serve you better than a DVD-Audio player as well, yet you own one. I guess you won't be getting a DVD-Audio player for the basement either. Just having fun with you. [​IMG]

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A few choice discs will be all it takes. A I know there is a lot more stuff for SACD then DVD-A and it includes a lot of great artists, but nothing compelling to me. A turntable OTOH would allow me to play hundreds of discs on my main system in the basement.

When I got the DVD-A10 the DVD-A format was only one of a host of selling points. True I had one DVD-A disc to play, but I was perfectly happy with the DTS compatability track on that one disc. I wanted something to make the 96/24 DADs I already owned sound better, as well as a transport to take the CD burden off my CLD-99. Also, I wanted better PCM and DD stereo sound than my poor sounding ProScan DVD player. And no more chroma bug, perhaps a better picture than the ProScan which has great downconversion but no blacker-than-black and not the greatest picture.

SACD currently has nothing to offer me. The Sony DVD machine will do nothing better than the DVD-A10 except play CD-Rs (which my CLD-99 does).

I just hope that when some compelling SACD product does come out I can still get a SACD player for $150. That's what makes me nervous.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Philip, I understand your point of view. As I said, I am just kidding around with you. However, with your interest in music, I am surprised that there is nothing on SACD that interests you. Universal is supposed to be releasing Steely Dan Gaucho on SACD, but I don't know when. Perhaps that would get you on board. [​IMG]