Sony DVPNC875V/B or Panasonic DVD-F87K

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dennis_N, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Dennis_N

Dennis_N Agent

Aug 19, 2001
    YOu can probably tell from the DVD players that I chose, that I really don't know much about video!! [​IMG]

I have a 27" Sony Wega (non-HD) TV, Denon 1803 receiver, and the assorted speakers. I am looking to replace my Apex 703 (don't laugh) DVD player. I am just looking for an affordable 5 disc DVD player for some movies and music. DVD-A isn't a necessary thing, but I would like to get a progressive scan player (seems like they all are now) for when I get a better TV in the future. The two I listed above seem fine to my uneducated eyes/ears, but I wanted to get the professionals opinions!! The only difference I can see is that the Panasonic uses a 54MHz/10-bit video D/A converter and the sony uses a 108MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion. I also looked at the Yamaha C750 and it used the same as the Sony. Is it necessary to get the better Vid processor? Any ideas or suggestion would be welcome givem my $100-$150 budget! Thanks in advance, sorry for such a newbie and general post!!!
  2. Dennis_N

Dennis_N Agent

Aug 19, 2001
    Maybe a little more information would be helpful? Here are the specs on the DVD players:

Audio-only function lets you play music while protecting the video circuitry from noise

4:4:4 signal processing

4:3 shrink function

Letterbox zoom, variable zoom, auto zoom, shift

Depth enhancer for more natural looking picture

Picture modes: Normal, Cinema1, Cinema2, Animation, Dynamic

Picture control: brightness, color, contrast, sharpness, gamma correction

Monitor select for optimum picture quality according to monitor type

54MHz/10-bit video D/A converter

8-channel 192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter

Switchable component video out (480p/480i)

Black level control

Built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoder with speaker settings

Dolby Pro Logic Surround II

Dialogue enhancer

Advanced surround mode creates a surround field from only 2 speakers

Headphone surround

High-speed scan (5 speeds up to 200x)

Quick replay

Outputs: digital audio (1 coaxial), component video (Y,Pb,Pr), S-video, composite video (RCA), 5.1 audio, subwoofer, 2-channel audio

Includes remote

Plays DVD, DVD-RW (video mode), DVD-R, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, SACD, MP3 and JPEG formats

Precision Drive 3 system with dynamic tilt compensation for more reliable playback of warped or damaged discs

Full reverse 3-2 conversion delivers accurate reproduction of film-based sources

108MHz/12-bit video digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion; 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion

Advanced SmoothScan and SmoothSlow modes, custom picture mode, instant replay and instant search functions

Virtual Surround sound with 4 modes for simulated surround sound effects from stereo sources

Other convenient features include 40-disc multidisc resume, 40-disc custom parental control, video equalizer, title and chapter viewer and more

Outputs: 1 component video, 1 composite video, 1 S-video, 1 coaxial digital, 1 optical digital, 1 analog audio, 5.1-channel analog

RMT remote with TV control is compatible with most major brands

Hope that helps