Sony DVP9000ES DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sam R. Aucoin, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased this DVD player and was amazed at the amount of INTERNAL settings you can control (sharpness, brightness, chroma, gamma, black level, etc.).

1. Now I realize that everyone's display will require a different set of settings. But, given the fact that I have a Sony 36XBR250 display, can anyone please give me their internal VIDEO settings that they consider to be "baseline" (that is, settings they consider a "must").

2. Also, I have finally (after three years) turned down my television's sharpness setting to between 1/4 and 1/2. Although I eventually saw the difference when I adopted the other "usual" settings recommended by the vast majority of the members of this forum (turn down brightness, contrast, color) and now realize the picture is much better because of the "turn downs". But, after a month, I still cannot get accustomed to that sharpness decrease. As Sony DVD players appear to have the reputation for producing a "soft" picture, should my sharpness level be increased to compensate?

As usual, I appreciate all responses.

Regards,

Sam

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Sam have you calibrated your TV with a disc like Avia or VE? Both of these have test patterns where you can set your sharpness settings correctly.

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I have everything set to "0" on my 9000ES and calibrate my display instead of the DVD.