What's new

Sony DVP650-SACD playback (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yohan,

Dale must mean the DVP-NC650V. The only other '650' DVD player Sony has ever made is the second-generation DVP-C650D DVD changer that does not play SACDs.

Dale,

I have limited experience with the 'NC650V. It looks like a nice player for the money, especially when you consider that the price dropped from $400 to $330 recently (Crutchfield, for example). I just got the SCD-CE775, which is similar to the 'NC650V, except that it doesn't play DVDs. For the money ($200), the 'CE775 is quite impressive with SACDs. I imagine the 'NC650V is solid in this regard as well.

DaleV

Agent
Sorry, yes I did mean the DVP-NC650V. It's also one of the ones I am considering. Thanks for your replies.

DaleV

Agent
Not necessarily at just SACD players Keith. I'm replacing an older Yamaha CD changer thats tired. I had the thing since 1989 and its finally on its last change. I'm looking for an acceptable replacement and thought I might as well look into a changer that also does SACD and maybe even DVD. I have an older model Sony DVD changer(DVP650D)and if the DVPNC650V plays SACD and DVDs equally well I was considering it. I also looked into the SCD-ce775 but the local CC still wants $350 for theirs. Right now in the house is a Yamaha CDC685 cd player(not sacd)that i'm trying out. Its nice but has a tray I'm not really crazy about.The local Best Buy has the DVPNC650V for $329 right now. So has anyone heard how this unit plays any of the media it was designed for? How about regular CD's on it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dale, I just bought a 'CE775 from J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) for $200. It came today and is a good SACD player, especially considering the low price. J&R probably has the 'NC650V for less than $330. J&R, OneCall (1-800-340-4770), and Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) have better prices on Sony gear than the brick-and-mortar stores. All three are authorized dealers.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
$200? WOW.... I'm moving in a month and am trying to stop bying new toys for a little bit... Man, you're *not* helping :)
I've been wanting SACD for quite a while now....
*sigh* Life is full of difficult decisions. Food....SACD....Food.....SACD....
-Aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, sorry for making your life difficult. The 'CE775 makes my fourth SACD player between two systems (long story, but a good one ;)), so as you can probably gather, I am not big on eating. :D

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Well I promised an essay, but it's late and I just got in so you'll have to settle for a mini-essay. I was going to post a review of the DVP-NC650V in a couple weeks or so after I'd gotten the chance to thoroughly listen to it through my new Paradigm Studio 80s. Alas, one of the tweeters emits a crackling/sizzling sound on certain types of sounds, especially piano, so I'll probably just give my impressions here and not bother with a thorough review later down the road.

SACD playback: Good.

I have no frame of reference because this is my first SACD player, but the Studio 80s have really helped reveal some of the benefits of SACD like smoother fades, smoother highs yet clearer texture, and more detail. Before, using my Paradigm Monitor 9s, I wasn't too impressed with SACD playback. I could hear a difference but not much. Revealing speakers definitely make a difference for all audio sources especially SACD. In other words, with good speakers this player will sound good for SACD.

DVD playback: Eh.

The picture is very good, more pleasing to my eyes after calibration than my Panasonic RV31 was. But the layer changes. OH, the LAYER changes!!! Terrible. It takes about 3 seconds for layer changes. Ugh. That's something of a sore point for me because I was hoping for better layer change times compared to the RV31 but got worse.

Changer mechanics: Bleh.

It can take about 10 seconds to swap discs and for the player to recognize the format then play it. The transport is very noisy, especially while changing discs (loud clack), but also while playing discs. During quiet movie passages I can faintly hear the player whirring from 10 feet away.

So for the price and functionality the DVP-NC650V is a solid performer, but take note of the issues above. You might not care about those things, and in that case the 650 is a winner.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
KeithH,
After looking through your website and equipment lists I pretty much came to the conclusion that you don't ever eat... :) Of course, being a chemist perhaps you've developed a substance that allows you to sustain life *and* have dozens of ES components :)
For me, the choice between the CE775 and 222ES is a hard one. I've still got B&W 600 series surrounds and a center to buy, and I'd like to have DVD audio as well (looking at the 47A for both SACD and DVD-A).
-Aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, I sneak an occasional cracker here and there, and there is always water. That's enough for me. After all, it's all about the music. :)
Given that you are looking to buy other gear, I suggest you pick up the 'CE775 for $200. You could always upgrade to the 'C222ES once you have everything else in place. On the other hand, if you end up happy with the 'CE775, you could wait to see what the next generation brings in SACD players before upgrading.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
KeithH,
I'm starting to lean that way more and more... Afterall, I've already got my NAD for regular CD if the CE775 dissapoints in that area.
-Aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, makes sense. I bought the 'CE775 since the 'C333S stereo SACD changer I have in my second system is known to be buggy with certain multi-channel SACDs. In case you didn't see my posts elsewhere on this board, I experienced a problem with the new Mary Chapin Carpenter time*sex*love* multi-channel SACD on the 'C333ES last weekend. The disc was playing when all of a sudden, the music stopped and I heard static. This is a known problem with the 'C333ES, and from what I have read, Sony has no fix for it. I have also read that there is no point in returning the disc for another copy. Since the 'C333ES has only slipped up once since I bought it last April, I am not going to have Sony look at it. There is no point. It has read every other CD and SACD flawlessly. However, this static issue affected my ability to enjoy the Carpenter disc every time I loaded in the 'C333ES after the one mishap. So, I bought the 'CE775.

I considered picking up the 'C222ES because it is a better all-around component. However, seeing as I have the 'C333ES and other capable CD players in the same system, there was no reason for me to spend $500-600 on the 'C222ES. The 'CE775 is quite good with stereo SACDs for the money, so it suits my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks