What's new

Sony DVP-S900ES VS. DVD NS900V (1 Viewer)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I know that the 9000es is the reference player, but I have been hearing some good things about the 900v, which along with having great picture and sound quuality also has SACD Multi-Channel capabilities, is built like a tank. I was wondering, has anybody been able to do a side by side comparison of these two units, and if not, has anybody actually expereienced both these units, adn if so to either inquiry, what are your impressions of these units going head to head. I know that the 9000es goes for something like $900 new know, and you can find the 900v for about $525 new, but if there is only about a 10% difference in audio, video, and SACD quality, I think that the 900v might be a giant killer (albeit a giant from the same family). Thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chung, I have not used the two side-by-side, but some have said that the 'NS900V gives a better picture in progressive-scan mode than the 'S9000ES, presumably because the 'NS900V has a newer, better video chipset. If you search this site, you might be able to dig up some comments to that effect.

On the audio side, it could be a different story. Sony's ES SACD players all have been very good audio components, and my experiences with the 'S9000ES have been positive. I've used it in stores, and my brother has one. I feel the 'S9000ES is an excellent component in all modes. Of course, it doesn't do multi-channel SACD, as you said. No matter what anyone here says, try to test them out side-by-side.

By the way, Tweeter is selling the 'S9000ES for $800 now. Tweeter has both Sony players, so you might be able to compare them there if you have one in the area.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I have not compared the two, but from what I've heard, they perform about the same with video. The 900, however, might have a very, very slight advantage. Regarding everything else, there is no contest. The 9000 is far superior. It weighs twice as much, if that gives you any indication. Of course the 900 has multi-channel SACD capability which might be a big deal for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks