Sony DVP-S9000ES vs Toshiba SD-9200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Which DVD player is better and why. [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tough question. You are bound to get votes for both. Honestly, I haven't used both players extensively to be able to comment on relative picture quality, but if I had to choose between the two (in a way, I did last weekend; more below), I would go with the Sony DVP-S9000ES. Both are quality machines, but I think the build quality of the 'S9000ES is a bit better than that of the Toshiba SD-9200. The '9200 is a solid machine, and I love the drawer mechanism, but the 'S9000ES is every bit as solid as far as the transport is concerned, and the 'S9000ES is a tank. It weighs about 27 lbs.

Another factor to consider is SACD vs. DVD-Audio. If I had to choose between the two formats, I would go with SACD. There are more titles available on SACD, and I feel SACD is the better format. SACD is also easier to use since no TV is required to play discs. The relative sonic quality of the two formats is certainly up for debate, but SACD is an outstanding format to my ears. By the way, I have three SACD players and a DVD-Audio player, so I am quite familiar with both formats. I considering the 'S9000ES, note however, that it does not play multi-channel SACDs, just stereo.

Now, I can't really comment on the relative progressive-scan capabilties of these players, but my brother asked me for assistance in selecting a progressive-scan player last weekend. I showed him both the 'S9000ES and the '9200 and told him the capabilities of both players, and he went with the 'S9000ES. He was impressed with the build quality, the five-year Sony ES warranty (only offered in the US, I'm afraid), and the reputation of Sony ES products. He also took a leap of faith with SACD based on what I told him (frankly, I couldn't see him bothering with using a TV to play DVD-Audio discs). Now that he has lived with the 'S9000ES for a week, he is extremely pleased with it. He loves the picture quality and its audio capabilities. He is one happy camper, as they say.

In the end, I doubt you can go wrong with either player. The '9200 is a bit cheaper these days, as some dealers in the US are selling it for $700-800 USD, while the 'S9000ES sells for $900-1200 USD. If multi-channel SACD is important to you, then you should look at the new Sony DVP-NS900V progressive-scan player. It is selling for around $1000 USD. The 'NS900V isn't an ES player and isn't built as well as the 'S9000ES, but it could offer even better picture quality than the 'S9000ES since it is newer. I haven't read much about the performance of the 'NS900V yet.

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Anyone else? [​IMG]

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

No experience with the Toshiba but, i've lived with the Sony 9K since it came out last December and haven't regretted it once! Excellent progressive output into my Mitsubishi 46807...absolutely beautiful picture. As my forum pal Keith said, it's built like a tank. Looks great in the rack too...lol. [​IMG] Nice piece..
    - Chip

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, there is certainly something to be said for cosmetics in components. In case you didn't see it in other threads, I got my brother to buy an 'S9000ES last weekend. He really liked the look and feel of it in the store (that's not the only reason he bought it). When we got it set up last weekend, both he and his wife liked the way it looked on the shelf. His wife wasn't with us when we went shopping, so she didn't see the 'S9000ES until it was set up. She looked at it and said, "I can tell that it is a very good player."

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith, i saw the thread your brother started. He's lucky too have a brother like you. Looks like you steered him into a nice setup. Funny thing about the Verita's...they were on my short list initially, six months ago when i was auditioning speakers but, i never got to hear them. Only one place carries them near me. (i forget the name of the place but it's in Cherry Hill) Somehow i just never got there, lol.. That's ok though, i'm thrilled to death with the Silveri 's [​IMG]
    Hey, as a matter of fact i'm giving the 9K a little upgrade, cable wise.. Doug over at CAT is making me two 2 meter Tigress component cables this weekend.. Silver etched-oxygen free cable with those killer locking rca's. Lol, time to move the Monster component cable to the new XBox!(i bought the High Def.av pack for it. Dolby Digital 5.1 video games!, no way! [​IMG] )
    ps. the second new CAT is for my Dish 6000 HD receiver
    - Chip

7. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

8. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't Sony 9000ES have chroma bug? I am not sure about 9200, though. I think 9200 is much cheaper on-line. 9200's DVD-A feature is full-functional multichannel, but 9000ES's SACD feature is just for 2-channel playback. If you are considering sony, NS900V would be better.

9. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Yes, the S9000ES does have the Chorma Bug. But so does the SD-9200.

10. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

So, is the SD-9200 the same as the SD-900E? Read one of my previous posts for the comparison.
    Secondly, here in Dubai there is no SD-9200. But there is SD-900E. I think they are the same DVD players but just have different names due to different regions. The SD-900E got quite nice awards. Click here: http://www.home-entertainment.toshib...sumer/home.nsf
    Then click on "DVD," then scroll down to "SD-900E," and click on AWARDS.

11. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

You guy's are going to get people who don't know what a "chroma bug" is all riled the hell up, lol. I don't see any bugs on my tv. The picture is breathtaking to say the least.. [​IMG]
    - Chip

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Chip, those "killer locking RCA's" are BNC connectors. They used to be mostly only on pro equipment. I hope they become standard fare. They make thangs tight indeed. BNC connectors are showing up on more and more stuff, mostly hi-end, so far. It's a better way to do thangs.
    I have zero experience with the Toshiba. I have a Sony 9000ES though. Sound wise it's a superior player. I like listening to CD's thru it's analog outputs. They sound muy excellente to me. Of the SACD's I've played, I think some are limited some by the source tapes, but Joe Satriani's ENGINES OF CREATION is magnificent, and a real good demo of the format me thinks. The Sony's sound is very good.
    The video may be about even? I can't say I think the Sony's video is as good as some other progressives out there. I've had the JVC 723 and Panasonic RP91 in my system. I like the pic of both of them better than the Sony. Neither can touch the Sony on sound though on DVD-V or CD, anyway, what's comparable.
    I don't think the chroma bug is much of a factor on TV's from about 45" and down,unless you've got 20/10 vision or X-ray vision, least way's, when there's no Kryptonite in the room. Half of America has 20/50 vision or worse and many folks will never see it, me thinks.
    I've had my 9000ES's interlaced S-Video output run into an iscan V2 at times. I think it looks best like that, to be honest. It might be a little better to do component output into an iscan Pro model, but I don't have one... I think the 9000ES is a better interlaced player than progressive, all in all. There is something more natural looking about the RP91's pic to me. I can't quite say what "it" is... Nobody around here has ever carried the 9200. I've never seen one, except in pictures...Best wishes!

13. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks. Any more? [​IMG]

14. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Bump. [​IMG]

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Haris,

The Toshiba SD-900E is the European version of the SD-9200. You may only find the '9200 in North America. I am not sure of any differences between the two players except that the '9200 has a black chassis and pictures I've seen of the '900E in British hi-fi magazines show it in champagne. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the '900E has a SCART/RGB video output. I also don't know if it has component video outputs, as some European players don't have them. The '9200 has component video outputs, but no SCART output since we don't use this type of connection in North America.

Chip,

Thanks for the kind words regarding my brother being lucky. He is very happy with his set-up, and I am quite pleased with it myself. He has a small living room, and there is no way for him to optimize speaker positions, unfortunately. Still, he has done very well with the room available to him. The Energy Veritas 2.2s are nice speakers.

It is obvious that you really like those CATCables. As I listen more and more, I am liking the Audioquest Diamondbacks that I am using to bridge the NAD C 370 amp and the Energy subwoofer crossover box and to connect the SCD-777ES to the C 370. I have two more pairs of Diamondbacks coming Tuesday to try with my Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and SCD-C555ES.

16. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks for the input.
    Anymore? I really need quite a lot of opinions on this topic in order to make my decision as I cannot audition these DVD players.

17. Andy Cody

Andy Cody Auditioning

Haris

I am new to this hobby. However, The Sony 9000es is a great player for two reasons:

The sound is fantastic and includes 2 channel SACD.

The feel of the player is solid and beatiful like a tank.

If I was getting something shipped to the United Arab Emirates and wanted a reliable product this would be the one. Just purchased one myself a month ago in Colorado.

Thanks,

Andy

18. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit