Sony DVP-S9000ES Owners Help me out, will ya?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayM, Apr 13, 2002.

1. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

Can you tell me your opinion about this player now that you have owned it for a while? Has the chroma bug been that big of a flaw? I am going to buy this player I am pretty sure and want to know what people who have own it think about it.

Thanks

2. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    Jay, I have used Sony S9000ES in my system now for 16 months and have had no problems. I don't know what the chrome bug is so I guess it does not bother me. My Sony 9000ES is "all region" and a pleasure to use. I also have a Pioneer DV-AX10 in my system (also all region) and I find little difference in picture quality. In the past I have used Sont S7000 and Sony S7700 players and have never experienced any problems with the hign end Sony models. On the above referenced Pioneer, the laser mechanism went out last month and had to be replaced......three days before the one year warrenty was to expire.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I sold my unit not because of any problem but as part of my normal pattern. The unit sat in my bedroom system and was used as a progressive scan source on a 40 inch WS TV and my main system was on the other side of the wall and I fed it video (into a 64 inch widescreen) and was able to use the 2 analog outs for SACD in both systems. I changed to a Pioneer Elite DV-47A to get the same plus DVD-A capability. The Sony unit was built very well and offered good quality video, excellent 2-channel SACD (a tad better than the Pioneer Elite in my opinion) and was OK (decent) as a 2-channel CD source either as a transport. I suspect if it is not already, it will be discontinued shortly and you may be able to pick up a good deal. I did not have any problem with its video performance.

4. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I've had mine for about a year now, and it's been excellent. On my 53" display (~48" when squeezed) the chroma upsampling error has been obvious to me once or twice out of maybe 200 DVDs, and on those I noticed it only during the credits.

Layer changes are pretty good while pixelation and jaggies are virtually non-existent. Plays every disc I put in it, that includes LOTS of rentals.

The 2-channel SACD is close to the best music reproduction that I've heard (granted, I don't get out much)

It's not the latest technology, but it is an elegant, solid performer with a reassuring warranty.

5. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all for your replies. And keep them coming!

6. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I've had my DVP-S9000ES for about a year now, and it has exceeded my expectations. Video quality is superb (although I only have a 40" 16:9 RPTV). I've only noticed the chroma bug on one DVD, and that was after I had to really look for it. Although the player may not offer current state of the art video quality, it's pretty close, especially if you don't have a FPTV. Audio wise, it's the best sounding DVD player for CDs that I've heard for under $4,000, so it's a bargain in that respect. Build quality is second to none as well. I paid $1100 for it, and think it is certainly worth that, so I would jump on it for $800. If build quality, sound quality, and reliability (5 year warranty) are important to you, I can't think of a better player near the price.

7. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

I've had my '9000ES since November 2000 and I absolutely love it. I've never noticed the chroma bug on my 53" HD-ready set, and I'm pretty picky, so it's probably not a concern for the majority of folks. I have seen the player comb during camera transitions on two music DVDs I've watched, but other than that, it's been great. I paid $900 for mine when it first came out, and I think if you can find it for that or less, it'd be a great deal.

8. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

I am able to get it for $850 shipped. Sound good?

9. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I'd definitely go for it Jay! I don't think you can find a better built player with all the features that the DVP-9000ES has for anywhere near the price. Sony typically builds a tank (e.g. the SCD-1) for their introductory product (in this case a progressive scan DVD player with SACD), and then introduces successive players with inferior build quality.

10. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

Well it is on the way! Should be here on friday or monday, depending on UPS.

I think it will go well with my Sony STR-DA777es (Tank) receiver and my Sony 36XBR400 (AirCraft Carrier:)

The three sony parts should interact well together.

I will let you guys know when it gets here and what i think of it.

11. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

It is here!!! Any one know how to get into the service menu?

12. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Jay,

I'm checking in late on this (I've been away) but I'll echo the comments of others here. I purchased one of the early 9000ES's and I still consider it the best player in my arsenal (I also own a Panasonic RP91 and a Sony 7000 as well as some portable and computer players).

The Chroma bug was never an issue with me (I never could see it) and in side by side comparisons I prefer the picture of the 9000ES to the RP91. And the build quality of the 9000ES is so much better than that of the RP91 (the 9000 is a tank and the RP91 is a twig) that they are not even in the same league.

I had some modification done to my Sony to eliminate slight vertical banding early in the game (a recognized Sony Service Mod. Bulletin #70, I believe) and when the unit was returned the picture has been absolutely flawless.

At $850 you got a very, very nice unit (I paid over $1200). And the 2 Channel SACD rocks!

Enjoy!!

13. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I've had my 9000ES for over a year now and I love it. It's a fantastic DVD player which has never glitched on a DVD (except in a couple cases where the disc was damaged or defective). It is also an excellent CD player, and stellar with 2-channel SACD.

I don't notice the chroma bug either.

With the recent price reductions (I saw it for $800-odd at Tweeter) it's a great deal on a VERY well built player.

KJP

P.S. To get into service mode, I believe it's Title, Clear, and Power on the remote, in that order. Start out with the player in standby.

14. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

"I had some modification done to my Sony to eliminate slight vertical banding early in the game (a recognized Sony Service Mod. Bulletin #70, I believe) and when the unit was returned the picture has been absolutely flawless.

"

Are all of the players in need of this mod?

Jason

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jay, like Robert, I am jumping in late here, as I was away on business for about a week. My brother bought an 'S9000ES last November (at my recommendation [​IMG] ) and is very happy with it. Before he bought it, I had played with it in stores many times, but once he bought one, I had more of an opportunity to use it for extended periods. I am thoroughly impressed with the 'S9000ES. The only drawback I can think of is that it lacks multi-channel SACD, but you could add such a player for little money if you are ever interested (i.e., the Sony SCD-CE775 for $180-200 or the 'C222ES for $380). I've been tempted to pick up an 'S9000ES for $800 at Tweeter, but I can't really justify it. Enjoy it!

16. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

17. Stephane

Stephane Stunt Coordinator

Jay, how are you8 liking your 9000ES?

Can you see the chroma bug ?

I know that I do not on my player that I have had since November of 2001

Stef

18. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

Robert A Fowkes,

Thanks for the info. This player was bought on april 9th 2002. Does anyone know if Sony applies the mod's to the newer model? Or before I even get used to this thing, should I send it in to get the mods?

I have only listened to one cd and watch one movie so far but so far so good. I am liking it. I really like the way the player looks and build quality. It goes very nice with my sony str-da777es receiver and sony 36xbr400!

I will post more and i use it more. Thanks to everyone for their input and keep them coming.

Jason

19. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

JayM,

Only SONY could answer that question. I would say that if you don't see anything that bothers you you should not worry. I never saw the chroma "bug" either but the verical banding was very evident in a BIG picture (over 100") while I couldn't see it unless I looked REALLY closely on my 46" Pioneer Elite RPM. And since the chroma bug discussion didn't really surface until after I did the mod to get rid of the vertical banding I'm not sure if it also corrected any chroma problems. From what others have said I don't think so.

20. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

Where can I find a list of all service bulletins for this player, i search sony's site with out any luck. How do you hear about this mods?