Sony DVP-S9000ES obsolete?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Chin, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

sony 9000es = 12bit/54mhz video DAC (2x oversampling) ~$1000
    sony ns715p = 12bit/108mhz video DAC (4x oversampling) ~$200

9000es plays 2ch SACD, some CD-Rs, top notch build quality
    ns715p plays CD-Rs, CD-RWs, MP3s effortlessly, 4x oversampling vs 2x = better noise filtering, no SACD

Is the 9000es becoming obsolete?
    Anyone know of another top of the line ES DVD player in the works by Sony?
    DVD Recorder pricing putting top of the line DVD players to shame?

Things that make you go hmmm....

I currently own a 9000es and am happy w/ my purchase other than no multi channel SACD and finnecky w/ CDRs, no mp3 playback

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeffrey, if the 'S9000ES is obsolete, it could be due to its progressive-scan performance and lack of multi-channel SACD. It seems that progressive-scan video quality is changing at a fairly fast rate. Some have criticized the progressive-scan capability of the 'S9000ES when compared to newer models that cost less. I still feel the 'S9000ES is impressive on the video side.

Multi-channel SACD certainly isn't important to everyone, and stereo is still the standard playback method. I much prefer stereo since many multi-channel mixes (on other formats besides SACD) are fake. To my mind, the lack of multi-channel SACD does not render the 'S9000ES obsolete.

Sony only started incorporating CD-R/CD-RW playback into last year's DVD players. Being an earlier model, the 'S9000ES was not designed to play CD-Rs or CD-RWs, so the fact that it plays some is a bonus. I suppose silver CD-Rs might be the ones most likely to work. In any event, whether or not the lack of CD-R/CD-RW playback makes the 'S9000ES obsolete is a personal thing. Not everyone uses them. To me, playback of CD-Rs and CD-RWs is far from the most important feature in a player. It's nice to have, but it doesn't make a player good or bad. The same goes for MP3 playback. Few audiophiles care about MP3, so the fact that the outstanding 'S9000ES doesn't play MP3s means nothing to me. That's just me.

The issues of 54-MHz versus 108-MHz video DACs has been discussed here quite a bit lately. Some have said that the difference in sampling rate means nothing. Search this site to find the relevant threads.

In my opinion, the 'S9000ES is not obsolete by consideration of its feature set. It is not as well endowed as some players, but those features don't matter to everyone. If one finds that the majority of comparably priced or cheaper SACD or progressive-scan DVD players outpeform the 'S9000ES, then I would say it is obsolete. However, I'm not sure we are there yet. As a final thought, I feel the 'S9000ES is wonderful all-around component for $800 (Tweeter's price).

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Their lower priced, single disc (has the same disc loading mechanism of the 9000ES) DVD-Video and multichannel SACD player is going for $800 retail now. The 900 something or other.

The Perfect Vision did a comparison and thought the performance difference between this lower priced model and the 9000 were slight and only noticeable on costly audio/video equipment.

Build quality may not be as good, but you do add multi-channel SACD.

Dan

4. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    That would be the DVP-NS900V. Mine turned up a couple of days ago and I'm quite pleased with its performance and construction.

The DVP-S9000ES may not have the latest video DACs and features, but it's still a damn fine DVD player. I certainly wouldn't call it obsolete.

Adam

5. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Obsolete or not, my DVP-9000ES is staying in my system for a very long time.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Justin,

same here. My S9000ES still works flawlessly. It's staying in my rack as well.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, aren't you going to replace the 'S9000ES with the Denon DVD-9000? [​IMG] Swap one 9000 for another! The Denon '9000 will match up with your '5803 well. You would still have the 'C555ES for SACDs. Right now you have two SACD players. You know how I hate having duplicate components. [​IMG]

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

[​IMG] , maybe.. heh..

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip, thought so. You know you want it. [​IMG]