What's new

Sony DVP-S7700 to DVP-NS900V... worth it? (1 Viewer)

Eric Lo

Agent
I finally saw the Sony DVP-NS900V at a local dealer and got a chance to touch/feel/play it... without my favorite DVDs. It seems to me it's using the DVP-S9000ES drive mechanism and internal parts but it can play multi-channel SACD. Even the black brushed aluminum chassis looks cleaner to me without the clear glass strip. It looks to be a flagship unit except without the ES logo and only 1 year warranty.
Anyway, I'm currently using DVP-S7700. Did anyone got it yet and have personal experience with it? Is it worth it to migrate to DVP-NS900V?
-- Eric ;)

ErichH

Screenwriter
I've been curious about the 900 as well - Also currently using a 7700 and love it .

My plans are for a Pioneer 533 in December , so a prog. player is a must .

I finally decided to order the Pany RP91K , just to get in the progressive mode , and

wait untill there's more info on the Sony . The price was a little high as well - paid

about half for the RP91 . I'm shure the Sony will be outstanding , but like their other

flagship players , the cost of getting in early is high . Hopefully , my ebay auction for

my 7700 will not be next to yours ;-) (just guessing)

Good Luck and keep us posted on you findings !

Eric

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, I am curious as to how good a video and audio component the 'NS900V is because on the surface, it seems to be overpriced. Denon released the DVD-2800 (though no SACD or DVD-Audio) for $800, and the Panasonic DVD-RP91 with DVD-Audio goes for $420-700. A $1000 street price for the 'NS900V seems to be too high. It is not an ES product, and in comparing the build quality to the 'S9000ES, it does not feel like one. However, if you could get a good price on the 'NS900V, I'm sure it would serve you better than the 'S7700, which is dated. You didn't say if progressive-scan output is important to you, but even if it isn't, SACD capability, both in stereo and multi-channel, is a step up over CD.

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up this player a few weeks ago and I'm very happy with it. By the way, it's street price isn't $1000.00 across the board. I was able to haggle it down to $779.00 at a local home theater store, so you shouldn't have to pay $1000.00 for it unless you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks