Sony DVP-S7700 or NS700p

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveGB, Oct 19, 2001.

1. DaveGB

DaveGB Auditioning

We have narrowed our choice for upgrading our Sony 560D DVD player to a used DVP-S7700 or a new NS700p. Price is about the same. Our TV is a Toshiba TW 40H80 (16x9) that is NOT capable of 480p. Therefore, the player will be used in interlaced mode only. The player will most likely stay with the 40H80 as a second system when we upgrade to an HDTV next year.
    Question is: Any opinions as to which of these place will produce the best interlaced picture and the best soundstage? I read Ron's post on his new NS700p and it looks intriguing but the S7700 has gotten great reviews over the years.
    Thanks!

2. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

I have the TW40H80, and the Sony dvp-s7700. Great combo, IMHO. The only knock you could give to the 7700 is that it suffers from the "chroma bug." Now, I KNOW the chroma bug, I've seen in on many players, and it "bugs" the hell out of me. (It was especially bad on my old Dish network dss box). The chroma bug on the 7700 is BARELY noticable. In fact I can hardly EVER notice it... even on the Toy Story2 title screen (the defacto test for the chroma error.) Plus, the audio section of the 7700 (if you plan on using it as a CD transport) is VERY hard to beat. I know more than one audiophile who picked up used 7700's recently only to use it as a CD transport for their "second" system (which blows away my "first" system!)
    Also, the 7700 was built as Sony's "reference" player at the time, replacing the venerable dvp-s7000, and as such is built like a tank. If you have no intention of ever using this new player with a prog-scan TV, and the prices are the same, then go with the 7700. It's a great piece to own.
    BTW, I would be careful about shortening your TV's model number from TW40H80 to '40H08... Toshiba's 40" hdtv model from last year was called the 40H80. I've had several people tell me my set IS hdtv ready, even when I DO use the "TW" prefix. [​IMG] Not many people out there know about or remember the TW40H80 and TW40F80 (its predicessor.) Great set, IMO.
    ------------------
    -Kieran
    My HT Page

3. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

This should be easy one, since they are same price and I know for sure(700P) produce the same quality of interlaced picture, and seem like you would upgrade to a TV monitor next year, I would go with DVP-NS700P.
    My two cents....
    [Edited last by Shanthi on October 19, 2001 at 08:09 PM]

4. DaveGB

DaveGB Auditioning

Anyone else feel that the interlaced picture from the NS700p will equal that of the DVP-S7700?

5. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

It's possible that the picture quality will be similar, however I highly doubt the audio section will be as good as that in the 7700.
    ------------------
    -Kieran
    My HT Page