1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony DVP-S7700...do I need to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Flink, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

I bought the 7700 two years ago and have been very very pleased with its perforamnce. I have a Sony 36XBR350 TV that I will eventually upgrade to a HD rear projection somewhere in the 55" range. Without buying the "new" top of the line Sony progressive scan DVD player, would there be a significant advantage in replacing my current DVD player with a moderately priced ($500.00-700.00) progressive scan player?

2. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Terry,I owned a 7700 too.What a great player.Very reliable, well built and it plays any disc.I must inform you though that even a cheap progressive scan player coupled with a widescreen HDTV will blow away your current setup.The set does not have to be widescreen but it does have to be HDTV compatable to display a 480p picture.There is so much new stuff out there!Have fun.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

4. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

The 7700 is a pretty good interlaced player imo. The only problems with the unit is that it was manufactured for a while and had lots of different internal design and changes of the units. That's why later ones were less expensive. I remember that this caused a lot of problems for me when I was creating DVD's. I remember having to own 3 different units to make sure that they were compatible.

5. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Terry,

Though I've never owned a 7700 I do own the 7000 (same except w/out DTS)and am still using it 'upstairs' connected to my Sony 36" XBR. The combination still gives some of the best performance for color and accuracy around.

Having said that, I also bought a widescreen HD Mistsubishi a couple of years ago and upgraded my DVD watching with a Toshiba 5109 so that I would have progressive scan compatibility between my source and monitor as well as DTS. Since then I have found that the 5109 has been faltering with the newer material and of course can not handle CD-R/RW and MP3 material. I have a portable that can (Panasonic LA-95) but I don't keep it connected to my system and don't have the cabling set up to listen to DVD Audio through 5.1.

I have recently added a Sony changer (DVP-NC655P) to the mix to get both progressive scan, MP3 playback and 5 disc changer capabilities (though still lacking DVD Audio) for my downstairs HD setup. I am quite pleased with this new unit have tweaked it so that the video/audio is optimized as best possible.

My investment in DVD players (for my main system) has gone from $850 to $500 to $200. There has been an explosion of features w/out substantial loss in video/audio quality and a progressively more reasonable cost factor. This shows the maturation of the industry with regards to DVD's.

In short, you can make a substantial improvement in functionality w/out paying the cost of your original 7700 if you need it. That is the bottom line, if you need the added functionality the investment is worthwhile, if you don't (don't have or intend to buy monitor with pro-scan capabilities) than stick with what you've got. There are few players around that can outperform what you have for interlaced playback.

Joel