What's new

Sony DVP S7000 (1 Viewer)

Anyone have any technical repair ideas regarding a Sony DVP S7000? We had just finished watching the Mummy Returns and I was putting in The Planet of the Apes. The tray loaded the disc, the front panel display was lit while the DVD player assessed what type of disc I loaded then the display went black and the power turned off. I couldnt even get the thing to let me get the disc out. I though it had bed caused by a bad disc from Blockbuster (after I took the unit apart and removed the disc I noticed that the disc was FILTHY). I will know better next time to clean them. I had to disassemble the unitto get the disc out. Well, since I had the unit apart, I checked all of the connections but still no front panel display. Here are the symptoms: no front panel display, it will power on for only a moment then shut down and I cant get the tray mechanism to load/unload. Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

Darren K Price

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Charles,

on this site, we pride ourselves in assisting each other when questions arise, or with difficulties as possible.

I do not find your response in either category.

Would you care to help Darren, or would you care to just shut up and quit with the smart-ass comments?

I can arrange for the latter in permanence if desired.

Mike

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi Darren,

Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions for you, but I just wanted to say that I really hope you're able to have the DVP-S7000 fixed. I have one of these machines too and although it's not my primary movie machine anymore (also have an Elite DV-37), I think the 7000 is fantastic, especially considering it was one of the first DVD players offered (albeit a reference system for its time).

Have you tried contacting Sony customer service? If they can't fix it for you, they might be able to suggest another alternative. If you go that route, something else to consider is the cost of the repair vs. the cost of a new DVD player, or even another 7000 from ebay. I've seen them for a few hundred bucks.

Good luck to you!

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Here's some technical info on the player:
Link Removed
However if it won't power on you may not be able to do much. I'm guessing you'll have to take in for repair. There's a Sony service center at Coit and Campbell if I'm not mistaken, so it won't be much trouble for you to take it in. I've got a 3000 and while its no longer my primary player I plan to keep it around because its always been so reliable. A cheaper player I'd recommend just replacing, but IMHO that 7000 is worth having checked out to see if it can be fixed.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Not sony again!
Actually the DVP-S7000, is the best interlaced DVD player ever made, to this day. Not bad for a first generation DVD player that came out in 1997. Many people still use these today without problems.

Anyway, if there are two fuses, one of them might be blown. If it just has one fuse, then I doubt that is the problem. Try the service menu and run an auto-alignment test.

Jeff

Anthony Cohen

Auditioning
I had the same symptom with my 530. Took it into the shop and they told me that a connection had to be resoldered. It ended up costing me $180 to fix. I also have a 7000 and I use it as my main DVD player. It's great. I hope that helped you.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

What is that all about? I wasn't trying to be smart. I too had a Sony that failed in only 7 months. On that note I once posted a thread about my DVD. Guess what I got, a bunch of comments that didn't help either. I seen way too many unnessary comments made on this Forum, so no other arrangemnts need to be made.

We all know the problems with Sony products as of late. It's no surprise. I wasn't disrespecting Darren's thread in general nor, questioning the DVP-S700 capabilities. I know it's a fine player Jeff.

Darren,

I know I porbably didn't help you but, hopfully my comments didn't affend you, Charles

Note: smiley faces don't help either! Get real.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Charles,

I already replied to your PM.

To your points above:

On that note I once posted a thread about my DVD. Guess what I got, a bunch of comments that didn't help either. I seen way too many unnessary comments made on this Forum, so no other arrangemnts need to be made.
The fact others posted the way they did in your thread does NOT give you the right to do the same to everyone else. IT DOES give you the right to complain to a moderator. We specifically state so in the Rules. Responses in kind (same thread or elsewhere) are dealt with exactly like the original one. Usually that implies a warning not to do that, and upon repeat, removal. Sometimes we will let folks back in, but only if they indicate willingness to accept the Rules.

Your post would be much more acceptable if you had bothered to include some details. Like saying "Not Sony again" and adding lots of detail WHY. We might have learned something from your experiences. All we know or can imply from your first post is that you don't like Sony - and that in a thread where someone is asking for help with a Sony. How is that of ANY use to Darren - or anyone else?

I don't have any problems whatsoever with you participating in threads - just make it useful/relevant.

Mike

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Darren,

Have you had any success in your attempts to fix your 7000? I'll be curious about your results! (in case I ever have to have mine repaired).

Nothing yet on the repair front. There is a Sony repair center close as noted above, but the wife wants me to hold off on the repair until later. I now have an HK AVR85 that needs repair sitting in a box (its been replaced by a Sony 444ES) and a Sony DVP S7000 (9000ES?) in a box next to it. I was actually looking at replacing it with another unit, but I wasn't wanting it to quit on me until then. Good thing I have a spare DVD player.

Darren K Price

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I actually have three players as well. I just brought a RP91 and still have a Toshiba(older model), which I replaced with the Sony. When my Sony crapped out on me a few months ago, I switched back to the Toshiba(as a reserve). Than the Toshiba started to turn on and off when ever it felt like. It still works, but I decided not to take the risk. Since I'm going to get a HDTV soon, I just brought a RP91. Good luck Darren on what ever you decide.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks