Sony DVP S3000 only passes ProLogic Signal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Orr, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I suspect this is the case...

I just hooked up my S3000 DVD player to the receiver that came with my JVC DSTP350 receiver using both the optical and coaxial cables While I am getting sound out of all 5.1 of my speakers, the indicators on the receiver are only showing that they are receiving a Pro-Logic signal from my DVD player. It does indicate that the signal is digital. I suspect that since I own an older Sony model, it can pass a Dolby 5.1 signal, but does not have the ability to pass the newer Dolby Digital and DTS signal.

Can anyone else here confirm my suspicions?

BTW, just putting a subwoofer in my living room have enhanced our TV and movie watching by a factor of 10....:)

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

All DVD players pass the DD signal. While the Sony DVP-S3000 cannot handle DTS, it handles DD without any trouble. One of two things is going on, you may not be using a disc that actually has 5.1 channels encoded on it, or you have your player set to downmix the signal. Check your Initial Setup system menu and make sure you have DVD Digital Out set to AC-3, not PCM and DOWNMIX set to NORMAL.

3. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Thanks, I'll double check that when I get home. I'm pretty sure the disks we've run through have the 5.1 signal -- Phantom Menace, POTA and JP3....

If I have any other problems, I'll be back...

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Since you're receiving a digital signal at the receiver, I'd say you've got the digital out set to PCM. In this situation, the DVD player downmixes the DD track to a DPL track and passes it out as two-channel PCM. Once you change that, all will be well. The 3000 is a damn good player, I've had mine for almost 4 years and its always served me well.

5. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I agree. I've had my S3000 since May of 1998, and I haven't had one problem with it at all. In fact, it's the only DVD player I have ever own (if you don't count the ones in our computers). And if switching the downmix fixes the problem, I'll have no reason to replace it with a newer model.

UPDATE

I got into the INITIAL SETUP menu, made the changes, and voila!, the digital signal now registers as Dolby Digital! Thanks!