What's new

Sony DVP-S3000 Firmware upgrade (1 Viewer)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade available for this player. Mine has been doing some funky things especially on Fox discs such as freezing up. This has occured on Die Hard, X-files series, and Cleopatra.
Also (sorry for the neophyte type question) but what exactly is involved in a firmware upgrade, what does it cost, can a techno savvy person do it or does it require a service visit.
I looked at Sony's website for info but it does not even list this player since, I believe, it is old and no longer manufactured. Thanks

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I have one and have never heard about a firmware upgrade. It may just need a to be aligned, which you can do through the system menus. Go to: Link Removed
The procedure for the 3000 is the same as the 7000. I think Drive Auto Adjustment should do it. There was something I ran in there that asked me to instert both a single layer and dual layer disc so it could realign the mechanisms.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link. I found it very helpful. I ran the various alignment routines only to find that an error occured during the alignment for dual layered discs. Guess that means I do have a problem that will require professional care.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I recommend that you try the alignment again with different dual-layered discs. Maybe multiple attempts would get it working. As much as I love my player, I can't see paying someone to work on it, unless you have an extended warranty. With the low-end Sony's starting at $200, I can't imagine it making much sense to repair an old player when the repair fee will most likely be at least $100.

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Michael,
I also have an S3000. While I have never done the alignment, I remember several years ago when that link was first put up that several people had it fail in the auto-alignment, but it still fixed the problem DVD that caused them to run it in the first place. Also, I remember alot of people saying that when it says to put in a Dual-layer disc that you were NOT supposed to use an RSDL disc, but rather an dual-layer disc like ??? (Tomorrow Never Dies?) where both the Widescreen and P&S versions were on separate layers of the disc but on the same side. I am not sure what all movies were like this but I am pretty sure one of the Brosnan James Bond DVD's is.
Scott
------------------
Scott Barnhart
[email protected]

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Still trying but thanks for the info. I ran a single layer disc with no problem. Figured out through trial and error that dual layer does mean RSDL since the alignment routine kicks out any other type of disc. Still getting an error in the DL routine but will keep trying. Just want to get as much life as possible before getting a new player. Need one that passes a DTS bitstream anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks