What's new

Sony DVP-S300 & DVD rentals (1 Viewer)

Chris Homer

Agent
I have this DVD player and was wondering if anyone knows of any difficulties in reading scratched disks. It seems as though every disk I rent always has some sort of skip in it. One would think if the disk was really that bad then they wouldn't rent it. I've began to think it is something with the player also. There are always visible scratches on the disk, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has this player and notices this. Thanks.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I've played a lot of rented DVDs on my DVP-S300 and only experienced a problem with one disc. The picture started to pixelate, so I took the disc out and looked at it. There was a very small smudge on the surface, which I cleaned off. The disc didn't give me any problems after that.
Some of the discs I rent have minor scratches. If the place you rent from is giving you discs that are scratched to hell, I'd find another rental place.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I have noticed some problems in that area with mine, which is only about 2 weeks old. There were a few parts in Enemy at The Gates that I couldn't even fast-forward through, and I had to go to the next chapter and back up. In Das Boot, I couldn't get it to play Ch. 35 from the first disc at all.
Neither of these discs seemed in particularly bad shape.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 22, 2001 at 06:39 AM]

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, I started out with the Sony S300 player. I loved it, and it performed very well. There was only one rental that I found it could not read. What I would suggest, is that you have a look at re-calibrating your DVD player. This may help to get it properly aligned for better reading of slightly scratched DVD's. NOTE: Re-calibrating your laser will void any warranty you may still have. Since this is an older player, you may not mind doing this. I have done it, and it worked well.
Here is the link:
Link Removed

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
My player (Panasonic RP-56) is also only 2 weeks old and I had a problem with Titan A.E. over the weekend. Everything was fine until Chapter 14, then it pixelated, went to a blank screen, sat there for about a minute and struggled through the next 5 minutes. I finally gave up, washed and dried the disc, but still the same problem. I had to fast forward through that section and it made me a *little* upset. Only during the cleaning did I notice that the disc was scratched severely. And this from a Movie Gallery that's only been opened about 2 months. I called and explained the problem nicely and the person answering told me to return it and they'd either credit my account or let me have a free rental! That's pretty good service!
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks