Sony DVP-NS999ES or Pioneer DV-47Ai ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manendra, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Manendra

Manendra Stunt Coordinator

Hello all!

I'm trying to decide between the Sony 999ES and the Pioneer 47Ai. Can anyone, who has experience or information on both these players, please recommend one?

Please keep in mind that my PRIMARY use of the player would be for DVD-Video. Therefore, I'm most concerned about the Video quality.

Also, does this player suffer from the Chroma Bug?

Thanks.

2. Bryan "C." A.

I liked the video quality of the 47Ai, which I only tested in the store -- but with my own test material. I did not like the quality of the NS999ES and packed it sending. It should arrive any time now from whence I got it. And now for the bad news. They both have chroma errors. The Sony was simply not a very good progressive scan player period. The Pioneer was somewhat lackluster in the store. I took home the 45A just for audio capabilities. What I found was that it looked better than I expected. The chroma errors that I had witnessed in the store on a display no bigger than at home were hard to find. They seemed masked.

Any of the following scenarios is possible to explain the difference between what I saw at home and in the store:
    in the store PureCinema was turned off;
    the Pioneer Plasma in the store was the culprit;
    the display model did not have an 11th hour firmware or hardware upgrade that the 45A had;
    or the 45A has a superior picture to the 47Ai which seems wholly improbable.

Also beware, the 45A has some very detectable progressive scan dropouts probably due to a heavy reliance on flag detection. Chapter/scene transitions and disc layer transitions seem to trigger this the most, but not every DVD will have this problem.

3. Manendra

Bryan,

Thanks for the feedback.
    Did you test the Sony thoroughly with the proper options selected?
    There are several threads over at the AVS Forum where some members who have received their units say that the picture quality is very "film-like" as opposed to the "video-like" look of the Pioneer 47Ai.
    Can you please explain exactly what about the Sony that you didn't like? What was wrong with the picture?

Thanks in advance.

4. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer 47Ai has exceptional video quality that is detailed, crisp and film like. It has 16 video parameters that can be tweaked. It has three factory presets depending on the display, like professional, LCD/plasma or CRT. The video quality is topnotch.

Overall, Pioneer 47Ai is an exceptional value given that it has DVD audio/SACD plus fire wire; it may not match Sony in SACD but still its very good.

5. Bryan "C." A.

6. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

It's hard to understand why the Sonys don't stand up to Bryan's tests. Every other post I read on the 999 is quite positive.

7. Manendra

Bob,

This is precisely what I was wondering. Most others have a whole lot of positive things to say about the 999ES.

8. Ron Newsome

Ron Newsome Stunt Coordinator

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. Manendra

Ron,

Are you suggesting that the de-interlacing of video-based material by the Pioneer 47Ai is not very good? Also, might the Sony 999ES be better in this regard?

Also, how might the overall video quality of the 47Ai compare with the PQ of the Sony 999ES?

12. Ron Newsome

13. Don Bingaman

Don Bingaman Extra

No Progressive Scan machine is great with video sources........even the DCDi machines. If you view a lot of video-based DVD's, run your interlaced output into a Silicon Image DVDO Pro, (available for about $ 500 on the Web). This little box is made for video de-interlacing.

14. Manendra

Ron,

Thanks for the clarification and the in-depth explanation.

15. Ron Newsome