What's new

Sony DVP-NS999ES now available in the US in silver! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking that the Sony DVP-NS999ES would be discontinued soon, as it's been out for awhile. Well in perusing crutchfield.com this evening, I saw that the 'NS999ES is just now available in the US in silver! It looks sharp! Check this out:

[c] [/c]

Here is a link to the actual player at crutchfield.com:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Nick V

Second Unit
Supposedly Sony has developped a new chipset for this player that gets rid of the Chroma Upsampling problem.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Nick, I read about that in one of your posts recently. I guess that and the release of the silver version means that Sony is going to stick with the 'NS999ES for awhile.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Supposedly Sony has developped a new chipset for this player that gets rid of the Chroma Upsampling problem.
I've not seen any Chroma Upsampling errors from my 999ES. Is there documentation on the web somewhere, which proves this? I've viewed Toy Story UTB, and Monster's Inc, that are known to have the "bug", and mine looked perfect, so I thought this machine was fine. Thanks.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Now, if only Sony would offer their new models in black (grrrr)!

I actually might wind up getting a black DVP-NS999ES to replace my two-channel-SACD 'S9000ES. I had really wanted Sony's new 400-disc SACD/DVD changer, but I just can't go with silver components. Maybe with any luck they will offer it in silver and black.

Nick V

Second Unit
I've not seen any Chroma Upsampling errors from my 999ES. Is there documentation on the web somewhere, which proves this? I've viewed Toy Story UTB, and Monster's Inc, that are known to have the "bug", and mine looked perfect, so I thought this machine was fine. Thanks.
Click here for info. I thought everybody knew about this site??

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg said:

I actually might wind up getting a black DVP-NS999ES to replace my two-channel-SACD 'S9000ES. I had really wanted Sony's new 400-disc SACD/DVD changer, but I just can't go with silver components. Maybe with any luck they will offer it in silver and black.
The 'NS999ES should be a better audio component than the megachanger, but is the color really important enough to deny yourself the component you really want? I mean, you would really spend $1000 for the 'NS999ES just because of the color?

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
If Sony developed a new chipset I think it's only fair they fix the 999s that are already out there. They got enough complaints about it. The five year warranty should cover it.

Nick V

Second Unit
According to my dealer, it is seviceable warranty work. They should be fixed for free, and your authorized dealers and/or Sony service depot should be able to do it without seding it in to Sony.

Keep in mind this is what my dealer told me. I have had no direct contact with Sony.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
The 'NS999ES should be a better audio component than the megachanger, but is the color really important enough to deny yourself the component you really want? I mean, you would really spend $1000 for the 'NS999ES just because of the color?
Well, color is just part of the equation. The primary reason for the upgrade in the first place would be to gain multichannel SACD capability. The convenience of a 400-disc changer would be a plus, but I already have a 300-disc CD changer, and I really don't have enough SACDs to warrant a megachanger on their behalf. Plus, I just don't see much use in a DVD-megachanger, so the megachanger-aspect would just be an added plus. However, since my HT is in my living room, aesthetics are a big consideration, so with the black '999ES, I get a component that looks good AND that gives me the multichannel SACD capability I'm looking for, I just lose the megachanger convenience. If the changer were going to be black, the choice (for me) would be a no-brainer. But since I'm not sure, the decision becomes more difficult.

Like you cared about my thought process anyway. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, got it. I actually like the look of silver components. It's a nice change of pace. In the end, I would probably go with the 'NS999ES, as it is likely a better audio component than the ES megachanger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks