What's new

Sony DVP-NS999ES and Denon 5803 set up problem (1 Viewer)

StanB

Agent
I have a Sony DVP-NS999ES and Denon 5803 amp. The Sony manual says if my amp has 5.1 channel inputs the hook up the 5.1 posts on the back of the Sony the inputs on the amp. The Denon has the inputs, so I've got the interconnects run. The Sony manual also says if I want to use the Dolby Digital or DTS decoder on my amp, then run an optical cable from my Sony to the amp. I've got that done as well. My question is, what's the difference. When playing a SACD, does it use the 5.1 channels from my Sony to the amp or does it use the optical cable.

Also, since I've set this Sony up, I've lost my rear channel when I play a DVD. Don't know why. When I play any DVD's the Denon is in EXT1 and will not play the rear channel. There is no longer any pink noise going to the rear channel when I'm in set up mode on the Denon. I have no clue as to why. Thanks for any help on these issues and questions.

EricN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eric
On your 5803 the EXT1 & 2 inputs are there to receive SACD, DVD-A or any multi channel source direct from the player. When you have a device that can do more than 1 thing (Like your SACD capable Sony deck) you need to reset the input on the Denon to digital whenever you are watching a DVD so that the DD or DTS is running through the optical rather than the EXT1. The DD and DTS carry your surround info.

Works fine... Enjoy...

Scotty P

Agent
The sony player can probably decode internally any type of signal (SACD, DD, and DTS) then send it through the multichannel connect. It would be best to have the receiver continue to decode DD/DTS, which is done through the coax or optical. The receiver isn't capable of decoding SACD which is the reason for the multichannel. Plus (depending on the players setup capabilities) you may need to adjust the subwoofer balance if your receiver has the subwoofer ext input boost (like many denons do)and possibly adjust the speaker balance on the sony (depending on its adjustment capabilities) specific to the SACD playback.

There are a lot of setup options in the menu for your sony player to decide whether DD/DTS goes bitstream through the digital connection, is downmixed to stereo, or is internally decoded and sent out multichannel. For DD/DTS you want bitstream with the digital out turned on. Probably similar selections for SACD: Downmixed to stereo then bitstream out digital, or out multichannel. For SACD you want the multichannel out.

Then when playing DVDs you want to select the input on your receiver that will use the optical cable, make sure ext 1 is off if it over-rides the other inputs. Then for playing SACD disks use the ext 1.

When you say the pink noise isn't going to the rear channel, is that generated by the receivers test tone or the players. If the players, then the above settup adjustments and correct input used should fix. If the receivers-maybe recheck the speaker configuration in the receivers settup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks