Sony DVP-NS900V initial impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew P, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

Sony DVP-NS900V
    I really want to upgrade my Panasonic DVD-RP91 so I ordered the Sony DVP-NS900V from Crutchfield. 4-5 players have come and gone including the Philips Q50 while the picture was beautiful the glitches were not and the Kenwood 5700 and 5900 were a disappointment for the money and maybe the hype. My last Sony player was the DVP9000ES which I owned for a few months before my recent fave the Panasonic DVD-RP91.
    Here are some initial impressions because I have been watching the most amazing baseball games the last few days. Go Yankees!!
    The total price of the Sony was $999 which is steep for a progressive player, but this does include multi channel-SACD for those of us who care about the format. I love SACD sound, but the lack of material is a major issue.
    Initial Setup
    Setting up the player was a breeze. In fact as soon as you turn the unit on a quick setup starts letting the user select tv ratio, surround type, etc. The menu system is typical Sony which is a good thing. I think Sony’s menus are laid out perfectly and are very easy to follow although there are a ton of options with this player.
    Build Quality
    The Sony 900V is very nice looking player. It resembles the DVPS9000ES but without that annoying blue light or for lack of a better term weird front panel buttons. I like the design on the 900. It also weighs in around 11lbs which will impress those of us who like heavier equipment.
    Picture Quality
    My setup is still the Mitsubishi 73907 and the Cinema 13HD. For my initial impressions I viewed the image on the Cinema 13HD only. The Sony 900 produces a very film-like picture. I had a friend over who was complaining that all DVD pictures looked the same, but even he was impressed with the picture of Toy Story 2. In fairness, most of the progressive players I have tested produce a very good picture, but I will still impressed with his comments. What seperates DVD players in my opinion is the chroma bug, combing, and sharpness of the picture. In my limited time with this player I did not notice the chroma bug, but I will do more testing. I really did not spend the amount of time needed looking at the various torture tests that I usually put my players through. There are so many picture settings too that I did not mess around with. For these initial impressions I had the mode set to standard (Sony’s manual suggests Cinema 1 or 2 for movies), but we will see.
    For people who do not notice the chroma bug (more tests pending) I can say that this player produces a great picture with minimal combing (more test pending on this as well), but im confident that this will hold true since the 700P was very good in this regard too. I just wish I had the 700P around so I could compare to see if there are really any improvements except build quality, SACD, and the better looking faceplate.
    The remote is a good as usual. Sony usually produces quality remotes especially compared to other dvd makers (are you listening Kenwood?) The buttons are not backlit although there is a tiny lcd screen that lights up. There is also a jog wheel which Sony has had on their previous dvd players.
    Overall
    It really is too early to tell if this is the player that will knock the Panasonic DVD-RP91 from the top of the mountain. I am hoping Sony improved this player over the 700P, but I have not had enough time to say just yet I will say this, for those of you who have the 9000ES I think its time to retire that player. This player lists for a few hundred less and it includes multichannel SACD. I also think the 700P produces a better picture than the 9000ES and im hoping at worst Sony used the same design for the 900V. So far so good…
    Andy

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew, thanks for the initial review. I would be curious to hear your impressions of the 'NS900V as you settle in with it (after the World Series is over, of course [​IMG]). If you decide to give SACD a whirl, do post your thoughts. One question. Why did you decide to order it from Crutchfield? I'm sure you could have gotten it for less from Oade Bros., J&R Music World, or OneCall (especially Oade Bros.). Just a thought. I realize, however, that Crutchfield has the best return policy. J&R will allow you to return an item within 30 days for a full refund, but you will pay the shipping.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I purchased this from Crutchfield because they have the best return policy and great service. I like Onecall, but you cannot return an item there. I have never ordered from J&R so I didnt want to take a chance. I know what im getting from Crutchfield and they had it in stock :)
    When the Yankees win ill be celebrating for a few days and then the more in depth review will follow (unless nothing is going on tonight and ill do some more testing then).
    Andy

4. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

I can't even find this player on Sony's web site - what gives??

5. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

here's the link - it's hard to find and won't show up on a search for the model number. I just ordered one from Oade Brothers $800 delivered. I can't say enough good things about my experiences with them. I also just received a XA777es SACD player. The tray/door was making a scraping noise, and they are replacing it - no questions asked. A good company to deal with. Jim Oade is a very nice person to deal with.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/electronics...d=18465&type=o
    ------------------

6. Eric Lo

Eric Lo Agent

Where is the unit made in ?

7. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

How's the Audio quality on it?
    Would it be in the same league as the ES models?
    Thanks,
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

8. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Andrew - I don't think this player has aspect ratio control, right? At this price, I would expect it to.
    What does it have over the MUCH less expensive 700P?

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dennis,
    I read about the problem you were having with the 'XA777ES over on Audio Asylum. Glad to hear that Oade Bros. took care of you. I too have ordered from Oade Bros., and they are great.
    Paul,
    I don't know if there are any differences between the Sony DVP-NS700P and 'NS900V videowise. Of course, the 'NS900V offers SACD playback (stereo and multi-channel). I would hope the 'NS900V is better on the video side of the equation given the significant difference in price.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

10. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

The player does not have aspect ratio control. I would say this because I do not think it is using the Genesis chipset, but I am not positive. I do not need this function although I do believe it is worthwhile and that’s why I still say the best overall player today is the Panasonic DVD-RP91. I was so impressed with this player initially and it continues to amaze me even after newer more expensive players are released with more hype.
    I did spend more time with the NS900V this weekend and I am still very impressed with the unit, but I have been so busy with the World Series that my mind is not on testing. Im disappointed that the Yankees didn’t win, but im proud of this dynasty!
    Back on track, I still have not noticed the chroma bug yet. It could be due to two reasons 1) My concentration is not there as I mentioned above or 2) it is so slight that I have yet to notice. Either way I am impressed because I do not usually miss this. I am not as susceptible to combing and most ‘good’ players today comb very infrequently during feature material.
    I really like the usability of the 900V. I have two main concerns.
    1) The high price tag. I like SACD, but I do not want to pay a premium for this.
    2) I am hoping this is just not an updated 700P with SACD. I am trying to get a hold of a 700P so that I can alleviate my concerns. I just cannot remember what the 700P picture looked like.
    Andy

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

This looks to be a winner Andrew.
    Keep us posted.

12. SteveValenti

SteveValenti Auditioning

[​IMG] thanks for the info, i work for a sony retailer, and my first ? on this forum was about this dvd/sacd player. sounds like it may well be the next piece of gear to bring home. will follow-up. steve.

13. GregAH

GregAH Auditioning

Andrew,
    Have followed your thread on the Sony DVP NS900V. I am setting up my HT. My new Sayno front projection PLV-60HT is still in the box and I am awaiting delivery of my Sony KV36HS20 television. What is your verdict. Is it worth it, or should I stick with the Panasonic RP-91?
    Greg