Sony DVP-NS755V vs Pany RP-56 for DVD Video?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_TSL, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at getting a Sony DVP-NS755V. Should I get it and replace my current Panasonic RP-56 or get an audio only SACD player and keep the Panny?

2. Bryan "C." A.

Keep the Panny. Sorry to say that both the Sony NS755 and NS999ES had the worst de-interlacing that I have seen from a progressive scan player and I have the first one commercially available in the US (Toshiba SD5109) to compare them by. For an extra $1000, the NS999ES adds bass management for SACD that the NS755 does not have, plus some video tweaks that do little to change the overall picture quality. Did I mention that you should keep the Panny? Just want to be sure. I considered keeping the NS755 nonetheless until I heard about the Pioneer 45A with SACD and DVD-Audio all in one box. Still, you may want to keep the Panny.

3. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

Bryan, you have a 999? The one that just came out and is backordered for many early buyers?

I hate to say it but I find it hard to believe that the 999 is no better that the 755. Also, it's hard to believe that it is not superior to the Panny. I'm not picking on your Panasonic but I too have seen comparisons and IMO the Sony would be better. Could it be the Panny was better IYO and on your setup?

4. Bryan "C." A.

5. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

So you noticed chroma error on the 999 as well? Boy, I would have thought that would've been addressed with a newer player. Is it very bad? Other reviews I read failed to mention this. In fact one reviewer previously owned a 3800 and found the Sony better. Of course Denon had an upgrade to fix the bug didn't they?

It's amazing how many different opinions one gets when searching. Thanks Bryan for your answer.

Bob