What's new

Sony DVP-NS755V progressive-scan DVD/SACD player on Crutchfield's web site. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rob, I had posted info. on the 'NC655P in another thread last week. Crutchfield put it up on its web site last week. The 'NC655P looks good for $250. Note that it doesn't play SACDs.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

You should look at the Pioneer DV-47A I believe it plays both DVD-A and SACD, plus has a progressive scan DVD output.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kelley, just to confirm, the Pioneer Elite DV-47A does play DVD-Audio discs and SACDs. Also, it is a progressive-scan player.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd also advise anyone interested in the catalog to not put off buying DVD-A discs until the perfect player arrives, the DD/DTS tracks are loads of fun themselves.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I agree and disagree with you. First, while Dolby Digital and DTS (not 24/96 DTS) are fun, DVD-Audio is much better. I feel a budget DVD-Audio player is good enough to show the quality of the format. However, I agree that the "perfect" DVD-Audio player does not exist. Flaws exist in user interface, build quality, DVD-Video picture quality, etc. I've been thinking of upgrading from my Technics DVD-A10, and the Denon DVD-3800 interests me. However, the strong possibility of it showing the chroma bug will likely preclude my investment of $1200.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I agree and disagree with you. First, while Dolby Digital and DTS (not 24/96 DTS) are fun, DVD-Audio is much better.
That's what has me excited. :) I'm just saying that, if someone is unsatisfied with the current crop of players for whatever reason (principally bass mis-management), there's no reason not to buy some recordings now and enjoy them, the mixes are the same even if the resolution is inferior. I find even the DD/DTS versions of the DVD-A's I've got much more enjoyable than their cd counterparts.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I understand your point of view. I still might suggest that someone who is unable to find his or her "ultimate" DVD-Audio player make a small investment of $200 for the Panasonic DVD-RA60 to experience the higher-resolution format. If a year down the road, that ultimate player is released, then the person has gotten a year's worth of enjoyment out of a $200 investment and can upgrade. In that case, the $200 was hardly wasted. My point is that a $200 player like the 'RA60 is good enough to show the superiority of DVD-Audio over Dolby Digital and DTS. I would not suggest that someone who can't find the ideal player go out and spend $500 for the Denon DVD-1600 or Panasonic DVD-RP91 or even more on a higher-end player. The budget players will allow one to realize the benefits of DVD-Audio.

Given what I said above, I still understand your point. People should buy the software, no matter what. If some folks cannot find even a suitable budget DVD-Audio player to tide them over but still want to experience quality music in surround sound, then they should buy the software. The format needs to be supported. Buy discs now, and hopefully the format will be around long enough to yield the player that the individual has been waiting for.

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
My friend a Sony says there will be a mega changer PS player out in the fall but nothing about SACD or and ES model :frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Conroy, thanks for the info. The lack of an ES model with progressive-scan output and SACD playback is a shame. It's also a good thing because if it were offered, I might go out and buy one, and the last thing I need is another SACD player. :D

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
My point is that a $200 player like the 'RA60 is good enough to show the superiority of DVD-Audio over Dolby Digital and DTS.
I haven't even heard true DVD-A yet, so I'll happily accept your judgement on that point. I wonder, though, if the bass-management compromises (or complete lack of any BM)inherent in (seemingly) every player will really assure a better experience than DD/DTS (which at least has decent BM). Again, I haven't heard it, but I wonder if it's worth it to someone with small speakers who doesn't want another component/collection of interconnects with an ICBM. If you think so, I'll probably grab one myself at least to try.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I've considered your point with bass management in the past, and I suppose it depends on the system. I have Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers as my front and rear speakers, which are rated to 50 Hz, and I prefer multi-channel DVD-Audio to Dolby Digital and DTS. I have never experienced a bass problem. That said, I use my DVD-Audio player for playback of stereo tracks most of the time because I prefer stereo to surround sound.

Give an inexpensive player like the 'RA60 a try. You could always return it if you weren't satisfied. I've seen it at Circuit City, and Crutchfield has it as well. You wouldn't have a problem returning the player to either merchant.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Keith, I may just do that. Although I've got smaller speakers all around, I may experiment a bit.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jack, no problem. Sure, experiment. You may be pleasantly surprised with the outcome. If you do have a bass problem with a DVD-Audio player, there is only one solution. Buy full-range speakers! :D Seriously, if you pick up a player, please post your results. I'd be curious to hear how things went.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone, the Sony 755 is also available at Onecall.com. There price is $270 after a 10% discount. That price also includes the shipping. The Crutchfield is about $40 more with shipping but they are including the 5 free DVD's with the 755 and Onecall isn't. So you need to decide between the 5 DVDs and the $40, depending on your priority. I was planning on buying this player since I don't have a DVD player or a SACD player. I see the 900 mentioned, is the audio going to be that much better on the 900 because the audio is my priority. I'm only using a 27 inch Panasonic superflat tv.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, thanks for the info. Those five-DVD deals with Sony players are usually offered through Sony. You should get a certificate in the box. So, it is possible that the player from OneCall would come with the certificate too. Anyway, I am not surprised that OneCall is cheaper than Crutchfield.

I have not yet even seen the 'NS755V, but I would expect the 'NS900V to be the better audio component. The 'NS900V is a very nice all-around component. It's worth mentioning that someone from Australia recently posted a review for a replacement for the 'NS900V over on Audio Asylum. It is the 'NS905V. The Australian model is not a progressive-scan player, but their version of the 'NS900V isn't either. That's typical over there. Anyway, if the 'NS905V is released in the US, I'm sure it will offer progressive-scan output. So, if you are at all interested in the 'NS900V, you might want to wait to see if the 'NS905V is released here.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Keith, I checked the mail-in rebate for the 5 DVDs at Onecall and it didn't have the 755 listed, but the Crutchfield one did. I tried to get Crutchfield to drop their price and they insisted that they don't bargain. I'm hoping the release of the 905 will drop the price of the 900. I don't want to spend much more than $600. Thanks for the info.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, no problem. Crutchfield absolutely doesn't match other dealers' prices. Crutchfield's philosophy is that they offer better customer service than the other dealers, which in some regards is true, so you are paying for it. In the end, you have to ask yourself how important that customer service is. I might consider spending $30 more to get the 'NS755V through Crutchfield (once they get it) due to their excellent customer service. However, on some items, it just doesn't make sense. Back in October 2000, I bought a new Sony SCD-777ES SACD player (sealed box) from Oade Bros. for $1500. Crutchfield was selling it for $2500. I went through Oade Bros. without hesitation.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I wonder, though, if the bass-management compromises (or complete lack of any BM)inherent in (seemingly) every player will really assure a better experience than DD/DTS (which at least has decent BM)

It's a valid concern,and yes,IMO if you have small speakers and sub[especially you Jack,your subs probably way ahead of the curve, compare to many speakers's bass out there including floorstanders] then BM is a must to fully utilize this format,especially the MC tracks.

I use the Outlaw 950 pre/pro which has BM on it's 6ch analog input.

The ICBM could be a good candidate for you.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
In case it hasn't been noted already, Crutchfield now shows this as being in stock on 8/10 rather than 7/24.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks