Sony DVP-NS755V progressive-scan DVD/SACD player on Crutchfield's web site.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, May 1, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Crutchfield has added the Sony DVP-NS755V single-disc progressive-scan DVD/SACD player to its web site. They are taking pre-orders for $300 and are claiming it will be available on July 24th. After a quick glance, the 'NS755V looks to be the 'NS715P with SACD playback. The 'NS755V will only be available in black. Here is the link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VP755V&o=m&a=0

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No one cares? [​IMG]

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Keith,
    Nice features for a $300 unit!
    [​IMG]
    Lee

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I care, Keith. I have been holding off on purchasing a new DVD player until I see this unit. I remember seeing the Sony press release a couple of months ago. If the price of the 900 goes way down, I might buy that instead.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,
    I agree. Sony is doing a great job with its budget SACD player. (Of course, I think you know where I stand on the ES models. [​IMG] )
    Marty,
    The price of the 'NS900V dropped to $600 at Crutchfield and brick-and-mortar stores, and it's available for less at J&R Music World, OneCall, and Oade Bros. I suppose the price could drop again, as Sony will probably release a replacement model later this year. The 'NS900V will probably beat the 'NS755V on the audio side, but as the 'NS755V is a newer model, it could be better on the video side. I'd wait to see what the 'NS755V offers in the video department. Of course, it depends on your priorities.

6. Craig Rosenthal

Thanks for posting this Keith, I placed a pre-order. I am hoping that this one will handle the bass management better than the 500 did. The 500 didn't redirect the multichannel bass to the sub in 2-channel mode (but filtered it from the main channels), and I'm still not sure what it did with the bass from the non-sub channels on multi-channel SACDs.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, no problem. I've read a number of complaints about bass management for SACD on the 'NS500V and 'NC650V. It's one thing to filter bass from the main channels. You have to then put it somewhere, preferably over to the subwoofer. [​IMG] Hopefully the 'NS755V will be better in this regard.

8. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Thanks for the advise, Keith. I will wait and see how the new model fares with people who buy it right away. I am in no hurry to get a new player. I have some major home repairs that are going to take priority.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marty, no problem. As a U of I grad., I am always glad to help a resident of Champaign. [​IMG]

10. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

All Sony model's have this Bass redirection problem, If you have Small front speakers and a Subwoofer I stay clear of any SACD player, I'm sending my third one back and giving up on SACD all togather.

11. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

I have someone that gets me sony wholesale (they work there)

I hope they come out with a multi disk( 5 or 300) progressive with sacd.

My CD player is from...1992. Yikes!

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Conroy, stay tuned. Crutchfield recently put the Sony DVP-NC655P progressive-scan carousel DVD changer on its web site ($250). Given the low price of the 'NC655P, there certainly is room for Sony to offer a step-up, yet entry-level model with SACD. The 'NC650V interlaced SACD carousel changer is due to be discontinued, so I would bet that Sony will replace it with a progressive-scan model. The 'NS755V is replacing the 'NS500V, so there should be a progressive-scan changer to replace the 'NC650V.

I haven't heard anything about new DVD megachangers coming from Sony, with or without SACD playback. The DVP-CX860 and 'CX870D are due to be replaced, and it wouldn't surprise me if Sony were to replace them with at least one progressive-scan model. It would be great if Sony would offer at least one model with SACD. What I would really like to see is an ES progressive-scan DVD megachanger with SACD playback, but that might be too much to ask for.

13. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

this may be a stupid question, but will DVD-As work in this player too? I was under the impression that DVD-Audio disks worked in any DVD-Video player, but Im not sure if this is true (sounds too good to be true).

thanks for any help!

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, most DVD-Audio discs have a DVD-Video-compatible layer with a Dolby Digital and/or DTS 5.1 track. In some cases, the DVD-Video layer also has a 24/96 stereo track, akin to the DAD format that never took off. However, the high-resolution DVD-Audio layer (e.g., 24/96 or 24/192 stereo track and/or 24/96 5.1 track) can only be played on a DVD-Audio player. Finally, the Sony DVP-NS755V will not play the DVD-Audio layer on these discs. Sony does not support the DVD-Audio format since it, in conjunction with Philips, developed the SACD format. With the 'NS755V, you will be able to play the DVD-Video layer on a DVD-Audio disc, of course.

15. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

KeithH: ahh, thanks for the info. Makes sense that Sony would ban the DVD-Audio format from its players since it created the SACD format.

Good explanation on the DVD-Audio format too, thanks again for the help!

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No problem, Jason. Glad to help.

17. Tim Baldwin

Tim Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tim asked:

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tim, I see you live in Cary, NC, home to Cary Audio Designs. I don't suppose you work for them. That could be a way to get some great gear at a discount. They haven't done anything with SACD or DVD-Audio, however. [​IMG]

20. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor