What's new

Sony DVP-NS755V in stock at Crutchfield. (1 Viewer)

Here are some more early impressions regarding the audio...
Redbook CD - multi-way comparison between:
- Sony NS755V via analog stereo outputs, and as transport via coaxial digital output to Denon AVR-3200 receiver, and
- Sony 333ES 300-disc CD changer via analog stereo outputs.
Analog inputs were standard stereo L/R RCA jacks, as I wanted to avoid the DVD players crossover - I felt the difference between the 120hz for the DVD player and the 80hz in my Denon could bias the results. I compared by switching receiver inputs using my remote control.
Listening material was (1) a compilation disc of rock, jazz and some classical music, and (2) the CD layer of Telarcs 1812 Overture SACD. The same tracks were played concurrently on both players, with a few second lag to facilitate comparison.
First off, I wanted to compare my Denon receiver's DAC to the DAC in the Sony ES CD changer, since I don't think that I've ever tried this. While there were a few very subtle differences that could occasionally be heard, I would rate these two as very comprable. In a blind test, I doubt that I could identify which was which with any level of statistical significance. With this out of the way, I eliminated the receiver from the test, and focused on the internal DACs of the 755 vs. the Sony ES changer.
Here the differences were more pronounced, but still somewhat subtle. The Sony ES CD changer had a more open, fuller sound; individual instruments were cleaner and more well defined. The DVD player sounded slightly less three-dimensional, with less spaciousness on the mids/highs. As I expected, the differences were far less noticeable on the rock music, and a little more noticeable on classical music. The differences here were definitely discernable, and I feel that I probably could tell these components apart in a blind test with over 80% accuracy if both were playing the same exact music at the same time.
Don't get me wrong - the differences here aren't night and day (like when I compared the DAC on my old Toshiba DVD player to one in my receiver - that was a huge difference). These differences are subtle degrees of openness, clarity and detail.
Disclaimer: if you believe the urban legend that the DSD downconversion to PCM intentionally degrades the CD signal, don't bother to read the following:
Since I had a CD-RW with the CD layer of the 1812 Overture loaded in the CD changer, I figured I would go for broke:
I restarted both players, but this time with the DVD player playing the Stereo SACD layer. When I compared the two, I heard exactly what I expected to hear... the SACD layer's sound was clearly superior. It was far more open, far more detailed, and far smoother. It just sounded more like music.
I eagerly await other people's opinions; hopefully some more players will arrive later this week. While I still have about 3 weeks to decide if I want to keep this player, unless someone comes up with something pretty bad, I'm going to hang onto this one.
Craig

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, thanks for the info. The 'NS755V has a newer DAC than the 'CX333ES, but as I said, the 'NS755V, as a non-ES model, likely has a lackluster analog ouput stage. Also, the 'CX333ES might have a better power supply.

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this 755 player and I think it looks pretty good on my 56" HDTV.

Actually I am really tickled about the MP3 playback quality ... I am not a MP3 fan. However, I do have a few Mp3 downloads ... which I used to convert to a regular audio cd and play on any player.

But out of curiousity I burned a few mp3 tracks onto a data cd and viola this thing actually makes it sound tolerable ! ... as good as the audio cds I burnt off the mp3 tracks !

Also, I am planning to tweak this player ... maybe change the caps to better the SACD output.

Regards.

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this 755 player and I think it looks pretty good on my 56" HDTV.

Actually I am really tickled about the MP3 playback quality ... I am not a MP3 fan. However, I do have a few Mp3 downloads ... which I used to convert to a regular audio cd and play on any player.

But out of curiousity I burned a few mp3 tracks onto a data cd and viola this thing actually makes it sound tolerable ! ... as good as the audio cds I burnt off the mp3 tracks !

Also, I am planning to tweak this player ... maybe change the caps to better the SACD output.

Regards.

Bob East

Agent
I checked this player out a couple of days ago looking for the chroma bug. It was not evident on the panic button from The Fifth Element but was very evident on the menu from Toy Story. I was hoping this player would be the one for me-SACD etc. However, I now will be deciding among the Panny 82 or the Toshiba 4800. The panny seems to offer the best picture overall with no chroma or shimmering problems. However it cannot be found locally. The Toshiba can be found locally and the store I would buy it from is offering a card good for 24 free movie rentals. The question is could I live with the shimmering effects some people have noticed on certain material using the 4800. I'll probably take the Toshiba home and return it if I'm not happy. Regardless, I'm looking forward to owning my first Progressive scan dvd player.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
MAX, I checked the JandR site. They have listed this for 299.98. Where did you buy for 250?

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
GP I am awe'd by the activity here.
I am a newbie to HTF and HT. Have read quite a bit from various forums and info site and learnt a little bit about HT.
I want to acquire each and every piece of hardware for my HT over a period of few years.
As a first stop I am planning to buy NS755. I have been reading good things about it.
Since I am not planning to buy my speakers right now, can I attach my super duper PC Speakers (ALTEC LANSING 5 Piece Speakers) to the output of the DVD PLayer? Ofcourse I understand that it might not give me the same effect as a regular speaker. But I want to know whether it would at all. If not, then I have to probably re-prioritize my wishlist. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
kumar, welcome to the Forum. Some authorized mail-order dealers like J&R Music World do not advertise discount prices on the Internet. $300 is the standard street price for the 'NS755V, but you might get a lower quote by phone. Call J&R at 1-800-221-8180. Alternatively, try OneCall at 1-800-340-4770 or Oade Bros. at 1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480. Both are authorized Sony dealers that discount. I remember someone here saying that OneCall was selling the 'NS755V for $270.

You should be able to connect your Altec Lansing speakers to the 'NS755V or other DVD players. As you suggested, the sound quality will not match a decent pair of "real" speakers (no offense intended), but the Altec Lansing speakers would be better than nothing. I am guessing that the Altec Lansing speakers have a 1/4" stereo mini plug connector for use with a computer. If so, you can buy a cable at Radio Shack that has RCA connectors at one end (left and right channels for connection to the DVD player) and a 1/4" mini plug at the other end. Then you can buy a connnector at Radio Shack to bridge the two 1/4" mini plugs. I did this with a friend's DVD player and computer speakers, and it works fine.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks KeithH for the info. I will call them up and find out. Yes I do agree that they are not "real" speakers :), but as long as it could take me till I reach to the speakers in my priority list I would be more than :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
kumar, no problem. Glad to help. You should be able to make the Altec Lansing speakers work for now.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Hurray!!! I ordered my NS755V yesterday and it is being shipped..... If I get it by tomorrow it would be a wonderful weekend..... :) ;)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Kumar:

Where did you order yours and what was the price?

Has anyone seen this player at a B & M store? There are four or stores in my town that carry Sony products, but none has this model in stock. One dealer said the nearest he could estimate is 4 weeks. He only ordered one.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marty, I saw the 'NS755V at a The Wiz store in New Jersey last Friday evening. I realize this doesn't help you, as from my years in Champaign, I know that there are no The Wiz stores there. Hopefully one of the dealers in Champaign will get it in soon. I can say that if you are familiar with the 'NS500V, the 'NS755V looks identical. At least they look identical to me. Obviously, the 'NS755V includes progressive-scan output.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Guys, I will post my review of this by monday. I should receive it today. I don't know how much I can review this, since this is my first toy in the HT. I am going to take my own sweet time to build my HT. Till then I am going to connect this toy with my ALTEC LANSING Surround speakers. I saw matrix using similar speakers in one of my friends palce and that itself was awesome sound. So expecting that PHANTHOM MENACE will Sound GREAT IN MY NEW NS755V!!!!!
I ordered this at J&R for 250 bucks+shipping.
Odea Bros also has this for 250 bucks (their advertised price itself is 250) but they won't have this in stock for another week.
More Later......:)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
AWESOME!!!! is the first reaction.
It all started with series of small disappointments but finally ended AWESOME!!!
I wanted this to be a surprise for my wife, so planned it in such a way that I reach home from work before UPS reaches and I can setup everything before my wife comes back from work.
Well, the first disappointment was UPS and my wife reached home at the sametime. :frowning: Thereby I didnot have time to setup things.
Secondly, I thought I had a RCA to 1/8" mini plug Y cable at home (I had posted earlier that I would be connecting this to my 5.1 ALTEC LANSING Speakrs). I had mistaken for RCA male to female Y cable. There goes my second disppointment and the SEARS near my house did not have in stock and it was too late to goto Radioshack that night. So
had to wait till the next day to buy those cables.
Around evening connected them to my new 755V did not get the surround effect. ?????? :angry: :angry: oh! my God!! whats happening!! after 3 hours of struggle and blaming my ALTEC LANSING, I thought I will go through the sony manual...... :) ;) :D :D I have to program the player to generate 5.1 output. Pardon me guys! this is my first toy!!! and never have a habit of reading manuals till I come across a problem. :b
Then I had played my favourite STAR WARS (ofcourse I have only Phantom Menace in DVD, but still), AWESOME EFFECT!!!!
I give NS755 :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
As I had mentioned in my earlier postings that I am a novice just learning things about AV. I have not yet tried lot of other things on this player. so more to come.....

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
never have a habit of reading manuals till I come across a problem[/qutoe]

To paraphrase Tim Allen on Home Improvement -- Manuals are only manufacturers' suggestions. I have a 15 year old son who grew up putting together Legos. If I run into a problem, I have him read the manual and explain it to me.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Are there any other reviews up anywhere. I read somewhere, that there is at least some level of bass management and time allignment, but I'd like to get some more information before I move on this. I also read somewhere that Obi really knocked this player for the chroma bug, but since almost all players still have this issue, and I dont buy gear based on a single feature (every player has a problem)... I just wondered if there were any more opinions on this player yet.

Well, after several attempts and many hours of playing around in my Toshiba TV's Designer mode, trying to get the video to look right, I gave up. The picture looked slightly out of focus, and textures look flat; colors also looked like they bled a little bit.

After emailing my ISF calibrator, he suggested that I try a different brand of progressive DVD player - I found a Panasonic RP-62 to try, and after 10 minutes with Avia I had the TV's Designer mode settings set. Much to my disappointment (since I really liked the Sony's features), the picture quality on the Panasonic looked much, much better (this goes way beyond Panasonic's use of the DCDi chip; it's not a deinterlacing problem that I saw, but perhaps other weaknesses in the Sony's video circuits). While it is possible I got a bum NS-755 with regard to the video section, I tend to doubt it.

So unfortunately, I am back to "square-one" and in the market for a decent progressive-scan player that also does SACD. The Sony is on its way back to Crutchfield, who I found to be truly easy to do a return with. I am genuinely disappointed, since the Sony offered everything that I wanted (progressive DVD, DTS decoder and SACD). I may look into the upcoming Pioneer Universal player when it comes out, but for now, my dozen SACDs are back on a shelf collecting dust.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
While it is possible I got a bum NS-755 with regard to the video section, I tend to doubt it...The Sony is on its way back to Crutchfield, who I found to be truly easy to do a return with.
Sorry to hear about that. I hope that's not the reason Crutchfield now shows it as expected in stock on 9/5 (rather than 9/20). Did you happen to note your player's serial #?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks