What's new

Sony DVP-NS755V DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Hello all,

I just replaced my 5 year old non-progressive player with the new Sony DVP-NS755V Progressive/SACD™/CD/DVD Player. If anyone else is using this unit, do you notice a softness to the picture?

Maybe it's my untrained eye, but I think the image on my old non-progressive display was better! :) I'm viewing on a calibrated Mits Diamond 65" display. I'm also using component cables. Anyone have any insight into what this is about? I'm flirting with the idea of replacing this unit.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You've connected the 755 to the Mitsu's wideband component-video input? Progressive-scan output on the 755 enabled?

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Jack, Yes to Progressive Scan enabled on the DVP. Both in the setup menu and the physical switch on the back of the unit. Would having 'interlaced' selected cause a soft and fuzzy image?

On the back of the Mits, I have 2 sets of component inputs, the DVP is connected to one and my Xbox is connected to the other. I'm not really sure what you mean by "wideband component-video input". Are there two types of component inputs. The only other inputs I have on the back of the Mits of any consequence is the DTV set of inputs. My HDTV digital cable box is connected there.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Rick, yes, there are two different kinds of component-video inputs. You want to use the wideband inputs for 480p and 1080i sources. Check you owner's manual for the RPTV and determine which are the wideband inputs (I'm certain it's the set you've connected that game console to). Make sure again that the 755 is outputting a prog-scan signal. Then report back here with the results. Good luck!

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Jack,

Thanks for the quick responces. Here's a pic of the back of my set:

The high resolution inputs consist of two sets of component inputs (480i or 480p) and it looks like the one high bandwidth RGB/component input (1080i, 480p or 480i) is indeed labeled DTV. I guess I should get some kind of component switching device?

My Yamaha receiver does some component switching but its rated at 30MHz, -3dB. I can definately route the Xbox thru there, but I'm afraid that also routing my HDTV signal thru there will degrade it, but since I use the HDTV set-top box much less frequently than I do the DVD player, I suppose I can send the DVD player instead to the DTV input on the set.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Rick, as you can see, we may have solved your problem. Connect your Sony 755 to the "high-def" set of component-video inputs. Since you want ease of switchability, connect your game console to the receiver's wideband component-video inputs (he said, without knowing anything about video-game consoles other than that they can output at high-def frequencies). We'll get you through this, Rick. JB

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
And now for this evening's update...

After connecting the DVP-NS755V to the DTV high-bandwidth input on the Mits, I must admit, with some confusion, that my old Sony NON-progressive DVD changer (D560?) outputs a better picture than the newer fancy-shmancy Sony DVP-NS755V progressive scan player. Go figure.

The 755 produces a very soft image, which to my eyes was distracting. The Mits was calibrated. I left both players hooked up at the same time and did comparisons, the older non-progressive scan player exhibited a much cleaner image. The wife agreed as well as my 14 year old neice. :) It wasn't even close.

I had progressive scan enabled in both the 755's setup menu as well as the physical switch on the back of the unit.

The DVP-NS755V is going back to the store, I cannot live with it. But Jack, many thanks for your input as I unexpectantly learned quite a bit while researching the topic.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Rick, maybe your eyes like the way the TV set deinterlaces? Did you try turning progressive scan off the new Sony player?

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Rachael,

No I didn't try that. But seeing as the unit is boxed and on it's way back to buy.com I can't try that. I should have done that though as it's a good idea.

I bought the unit because I was interested in SACD as well as a progressive-scan player. I just might hold off on the SACD for now and invest in a better DVD player.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Rick, maybe your eyes like the way the TV set deinterlaces? Did you try turning progressive scan off the new Sony player?
After rethinking this post, I have a question. Wouldn't the above suggestion negate the whole idea behind having a progressive scan player? Or are you suggesting that my Mits is converting an interlaced signal into a progressive one. Please forgive my naivity on the subject.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Rick:

Only one of the two parts of the chain (DVD player or TV set) has to convert the signal to a progressive one; this is why you do not need a progressive-scan DVD player to take advantage of progressive scan if the TV can de-interlace. So, you can defeat the progressive scan on your DVD player if your TV can handle the task. Many folks have DVD players which handle the job better, but I agree w/ the suggestion that it would have been reasonable to try the player's non-progressive output before deciding to return it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Rick, your set is, of course, digital, so, with a 480i signal, it's handling the de-interlacing. With 480p the job is fliped over to the player. Your set is the Diamond series. It has better this and better that. It's deinterlacing may beat what's in most inexpensive DVD players? I don't think Sony's deinterlacing is a strong point of their players or digital TV's for that matter. On my 36" XBR450 I came to the conclusion that the Sony 9000ES looked better using S-video into an iscan V2 (using a breakout cable to go to component in), than it's own progressive scan with component.

When I tried a Sony 7700 into the iscan, it looked nearly identical to 9000 routed that way. The iscan's deinterlacing looked better than letting my TV's circuit de-interlace. Atleast that's what I thought...

My point, that I've been building up to, is that even the nicer Sony's the performance is lacklustre. This coming from an owner. They've quit putting much effort into DVD besides looks and maybe includng SACD, IMO. I also have a Panasonic RP91, BTW. IMO, it's a better performer interlaced or progressive than the 9000ES.

I've not been looking much at players, besides the Denon 2900, lately. But, from the chatter here on the forum, it sounds like the Denon 1600 and some of the recent Panasonic models are what to look at for DVD-V. Panasonic changes models so often it makes me dizzy...! I just suspect you need a very good player for a very good set? Best wishes! :)

VictorJDeP

Grip
I just did a test with my new Mitsu 65511 and corresponding Mitsu 6040 Prog DVD player. I had it in the 480p Component Output and after reading the above posts decided to put it in the Int-DTV so-called "wide-band" input. Yeah, I saw little or no change in the picture quality. I have Monster Z300 interconnects. Granted I don't have the top of the line DVD player, it was free with my TV, but it still puts out a better picture than my 5 disc Pioneer Elite that is not Prog Scan capable.

I replaced the HDTV box I have back into the Int-DTV and the DVD player back to the 480p input.

But by no means have I ever had a "soft" picture. The 65511 puts out a razor sharp picture with just about any digital signal I put through it. Again, even though so many users calibrate their TVs, each person has their own viewing preference, so maybe it's just my settings.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Wow! And I thought I was semi-in-the-know about all things home theater. I had NO IDEA my mits was de-interlacing the signal from my older non-progressive player. Since the Sony is gone, I am going to research much more before making another purchase. I'm leaning towards a Denon 1600 or better right now.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Rick, if you stille want to do SACD. I'd suggest trying to obtain a Sony SCD-222ES while they're stille available. I've been thrilled with my stand-alone SACD players.

Jack, I got my iscan for LD. I tried it with everything else laying around the house, including the RP91. I like the RP91 de-interlacing itself, BTW. Best wishes guyz!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks