What's new

Sony DVP NS725P vs. Denon DVD-1600 (1 Viewer)

RobbyD

Auditioning
I need some recommendations on which DVD player I should purchase.

I'm going to finally buy a new big screen this week. After a year of looking and investigating, I finally fell in love with the Sony KF50WE610, the 50" Grand Wega LCD Projection TV. But now I need to upgrade my DVD player and I'm torn between the above Sony and Denon players. I don't know if I should really pay the price difference for the Denon.

Here's my list of hardware I have now and your suggestion on which one I should buy would be great.

TV: Sony KF50WE610, 50" Grand Wega LCD Projection
Receiver: Denon AVR-2802
Speakers: Klipsch RF5's and RS3's

Thanks.

Arron H

Second Unit
Honestly, I'm not sure about the Sony players. I just bought the Denon 1600 via Crutchfield and so far, I am very impressed. I had the Toshiba SD5700 and to my eyes, the PQ seems dramatically improved. I am bypassing the 1600s DACs by using the optical out to my Rotel 1066 and so, the audio really has not changed for me. Many claim that the Denon DACs are very good. Andrew Pratt over on Club Rotel actually prefers the 1600's DACs to his new Rotel 1098 for some applications. That is saying a lot considering that the 1098 is a $3K processor while the 1600 is a $300 DVD player. I am not going to bash the Sony but rather highly recommend the Denon. Definately worth the $$ IMO.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I've read lots of reports from former Sony DVD player owners who replaced it with a Denon DVD-1600 and they all say how different and so much better the Denon picture quality is. The Sony's have a poorer de-interlacer, softer image, and many have the color bug. The Denon DVD-1600 is superior to the DVD-910 (and they are both around $300). The 910 has a softer image and a color flicker issue and lacks DVD-audio, the 1600 has a very sharp image (good high frequency response) and includes DVD-audio support.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks