Sony DVP-NS70H - Mini review

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by anthony_b, Nov 9, 2005.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I picked up this player last night, it's connected to a Sony 50A10 LCD. The picture at 720p is amazing. I see more detail in the background then ever before, I didn't think that Star Wars III can look that much better. I recommend this player for anyone who's on a budget and at the same time experience a great picture.

Some have experienced a 1/2 inch vertical squeeze at 720p, It's not apparent on my screen, but I saw it at a freinds house. It's not enough to warrant a return in my opinion. The player is that good.

It does not exhibit any Macroblocking issues and it appears to pass blacker than black. It's so far the best $129 I've spent on a player.(If you're in NYC there's a $5 coupon from J&R Music world that you can use torwards the purchase of this player or any other purchase over $50).

It doesn't come with an HDMI cable, but there are plenty of places on the net where you can pick one up very cheap. I picked one up at Sam's Club for $21.99.

2. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

I got this player myself and I love it. After I got my first HD TV recently, I just had to get a upscaling DVD player. I know there is alot of debate about the good it does or not, but I DEFINATELY tell a diifference personally. I just miss having a 5 disc changer... [​IMG]

I do have one issue about this player that I was going to make a new thread about but figured here was just as good.

Whenever I select either the 720 or 1080 upscaling modes, the player automatically plays anything in a preset widescreen resolution so 1.85 and higher movies are fine but any 4:3 content I have gets stretched and I have to go into the player and set it back to 480p for 4:3 content. It sucks because I can't enjoy movies like The Wizard of Oz in upscale mode.

Is that just the way the upscaling players are? Or are there models that would keep my content, even 4:3 unstretched even with the upscaling on?

Anthony: What was that you said about a half inch vertical squeeze? Can you explain that? I noticed with my TV (a sony lcd widescreen) when I use the 1080i mode the screen has just a touch of black bar at the top for some reason, regardless of the ratio of my source. 720p (the mode I use) fill the screen entirely though so I use it.

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Adam, what you are experiancing with 1080i is the vertical squeeze or also known as an image shift. At 720p it's fine.

Since 720p is the native resolution of my set (and most likely yours also), I have no problem leaving it that way.

4. Adam Sanchez

No unfortunately that isn't it... unless you were referring to the slight black bar I have at the top in 1080 mode? Yeah that is fixed wth the 720p mode, which I use but any thoughts on the other issue, about me having to turn off upscaling for 4:3 content or is that a normal thing for upscaling players? I would like to have one I dont have to do that on so all my DVDs can benefit from the 720p.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Adam, the standard for 1080i/720p is widescreen. I would think it would be the case for any upconverting player out there. In other words, all players would do the same thing the Sony unit is doing....Can you play with the TV sets "zoom modes" instead of the DVD resolution ? What's the model number of your TV set ?

6. Adam Sanchez

Yeah the zoom modes work, if of course I wanna zoom and crop a 4:3 image. "Normal" mode is unselectable when I am using the upscaling 720/1080 which I guess you are saying is normal. If I have to live with it, I will. I just wanted to see if there were other options. But I guess the DVD itself would have to be pillarboxed for it to not stretch the 4:3 content huh?

My TV is the KLV-S32A10 (Or something.) It's the Sony Bravia 32 inch LCD WS TV, the NON XBR one. (Silver in color.)

7. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Yeah, your tv set most likely has the same zoom modes as my 50 inch Sony LCD. Fortunately there are very few 4:3 DVD's and you will not run in to your situation too often.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

does anyone know if this player "talks" to sony tv's like the more expensive 300 dollar model (can't remember model number) does?

from what i understand, the two components talk to eachother ... and the dvd will automatically output the correct resolution.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What do you mean resolution Ted? If you're talking about 16:9 detection, it doesn't matter what player you have, the TVs that do this only need to see a 16:9 signal and they will switch. My former and current Sony TVs both did/do this and I have a Denon 2900.

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

not really sure myself john. i just remember reading a s&v article on the higher-end model and they mentioned that feature. i'll have to see if i can find it ...

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

AFAIK one of the features of the HDMI connection is the ability of the source device and the display device to "talk" to each other so that various parameters like scanrate, color standard, etc. are automatically set.

I've got a Sharp 26" hd-capable lcd set in my bedroom and have tried 2 different HDMI players with it, a Toshiba and the Sony that is the subject of this thread. I also have a JVC player connected to the same set via component cables.

Both HDMI players took a while to display even a setup menu screen on the set when first turned on after connection. The player learns from the set what the max. scanrate displayable on the set is, and the set learns from the player what color matrix is being output by the player, along with a few other things. With the Toshiba this meant that the player would automatically set itself to 1080i whenever it was turned on because that's the max scanrate acceptable by the Sharp, though the Sharp's native vertical pixel count is actually 768. The Sony will do this too, but it's setup menu allows you to lock it into 480p, 720p, or 1080i if desired.

One thing I've noticed using the Sony with this particular set is that when using HDMI there is no vertical overscan--
    1:85 aspect ratio dvds have tiny black bars on the set's 1:78 screen.

Using the Toshiba there have been occasions when I would have to make repeated attempts to get any picture at all on the set, which I attribute to glitches in the HDMI interface. With the Sony there was a long pause the first time I turned it on, but since then it's been a lot shorter and has never failed.

One "feature" of the Sony is an exceptionally long loading time for some dvds. The first disc I tried was LOTR/FOTR extended edition and it seemed like it was never going to load. I ejected the disc and cleaned it several times, tried it on the JVC (loaded instantly), and was about to pack up the Sony and return it when I decided to try another disc in the Sony which was comparatively slow but did eventually load. Tried LOTR one more time and just decided to let it stay in until the player froze up or smoked itself, and after what seemed like a full 5 minutes it finally loaded and played fine. Another disc that would not load at all in any of my other players did load in the new Sony and played fine. I can only conclude that the loading process on the new Sony is somehow handled differently than on most other players, is maddeningly slow with some discs, but that it will eventually load and play discs that flummox other machines.

PQ with the Sony is noticeably better than with the Tosh HDMI player, which showed no real improvement over 480p via component from the JVC.

12. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Is this a manufacture defect you think ?...Some people I've read in other forums have experianced this, calling it a "vertical squeeze". I think it's fine, this is a keeper for me.

13. Dan Keliikoa

Dan Keliikoa Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up one of these Sony DVPNS70H's last weekend, too. I'm very happy with the picture, and it's a significant improvement over my older Sony.

I find I get a better picture running this unit via component video into my JVC 52" Dila than I do with HDMI. I was getting some odd ghosting effects on text and edges using HDMI, as it forces the player into progressive mode. I dont think there is good 'communication' between the JVC tv and the Sony via HDMI, but the picture is rock solid and gorgeous on component. Just one of those "YMMV" HDMI situations we've all been hearing about. I'm sure the HDMI input will function better with a true HD source.

BTW, I love the black levels this player can put out! Very rich color.

14. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

This player is awesome. There's a slight vertical bar noticed when using at 1080i but perfect at 720p. Colors are rich and deep and the black levels are perfect.

Also, I just tried LOTR Ext Edition and it played right a way.

15. RobertJohn

RobertJohn Auditioning

After the demise of my ancient DVD player, and after reading the combined wisdom on these pages, I purchased the Sony DVP-NS70H. I brought it home and eagerly hooked it up to my Sony KDF 55WF LCD projection TV. I hooked it up with an HDMI cable and after breezing through the quick setup steps, popped in Star Wars VI. The increased clarity of the video blew me away. To my untrained eye it looked a lot like the HDTV channels. But my question is.. How do I know if it's running at 720p or 1080i or something else ? Does the HDMI cable alow one Sony product to set another Sony product without any help from me ? I guess I need to find time to set down and read the instruction book.
    Bob

16. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Robert, your sony tv remote should have a display button. It would show the resolution that's being sent to it. Also, on the dvd player itself, instead of "auto" you could select 720p.

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I just tried this player out tonight. This is a solid player - other than the vertical image shift. However, after doing close A/B comparisons with my Panasonic XP30, it fell short.

Also, unfortunately, upconverting to 720p or 1080i causes severe red push for my set (Sony KP-57WS520). No issue at 480p.

18. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

1:85 is a wider aspect ratio than the 1:78 standard used by widescreen sets, so if the set has no overscan a 1:85 dvd should have tiny black bars--this is not a malfunction in either the set or the player.

My set displays the incoming scanrate whenever I switch sources, and the Sony defaulted to 1080i because that's the highest scanrate the set will accept. The Sony can be locked into 720p, however, in the setup menu.

Another feature of my Sharp Aquos is the ability to center the picture in the set's user menu, so image shift is not a concern for me. My main set, a component only 4 year old Sony KP57HW40 cannot center in the user menu. One thing I've noticed is that vertical centering of 2:35 movies can vary from one dvd to another, never by very much but there can be an inch or so variance from one dvd to another.

19. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Steve, that answered a lot of questions for me, thanks.[​IMG]