Sony DVP-NS700P or Denon DVD-2800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CurtP, Mar 24, 2002.

1. CurtP

CurtP Extra

The time has come to buy my first DVD player, and after reading, and reading, and reading, I've narrowed it down to the Sony DVP-NS700P and the Denon DVD-2800, despite both of them suffering from the chroma bug. Even after searching several forums (including this one), they both seem to get good reviews. It's only going to be used for watching DVDs, so I don't think I need all the extra formats that some of them play. Currently, we've been hooking up one of our laptops to the TV, but it doesn't give the best results and is inconvient to say the least.

I realize that they're really not in the same class, and I don't mind spending the extra money -- I just don't want to buy a piece of junk that I'll be looking to replace in six months. I can get the Sony for $279.00 from my local Navy Exchange and the Denon for $699.00 from the Navy Exchange online store (which includes shipping). I've always been a fan of Sony for home entertainment, but after looking at the Sony, I'm not sure what to think -- it seems kind of cheap (made in Malaysia and doesn't have a detachable cord). And to top it off, it's silver. Not that's a huge deal, but the only other piece of equipment that I have that is silver is the Bose LS-25 (yeah, yeah, I know -- but it was FREE), unless you want to include the Pronto.

The current setup is a Sony KV-32XBR45 television, Sony SAT-B50 DTV receiver, Sony SLV-770HF VCR, Bose LS-25 and everything is controlled with a Pronto TSU-2000 (including the Bose!). Future plans are to replace the DTV receiver and the television set. The TV will probably get replaced within the next six months, and I'm still looking around to see what I like. I know that it will be a HDTV and 16:9. Currenty, the Sony KP-51HW40 has caught my eye, but I'd like to get another XBR like the Sony KDP-57XBR2, although I don't know if I'll have enough room.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

Either get the Sony player and save money or wait for the new denon model in the same price range which will have the DCDI from Faroudja. I forgot the model number(it is either 1800 or 1600). You can check it at the denon site and it should be out very soon.

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Curt,

the model Vishwa is speaking of is the upcoming Denon 1600 (Msrp 549.00) which should be out within three weeks. In addition to the chip Voshwa spoke of, It will also have burr-brown DAC's for superb CD playback, not to mention DVD Audio with bass management. You will probably be able to get this one for around 450.00 when it streets. If I were you, I'd wait for this Denon instead of jumping at the 2800 now.

Good Luck,

Reg

4. CurtP

CurtP Extra

I've been looking at Denon's webpage and the upcoming DVD-1600 and DVD-3800, and have heard rumors (in this forum, no less) that the DVD-2800 may be updated. I guess right now my best bet is to just wait it out a little longer and see what happens. I really like the 3800, but that's probably more than I will want to spend no more than I'll probably use it.

I'm still finding great reviews on the Sony DVP-NS700P, which would probably be more in line with the Denon DVD-1600. I just can't come to grips with either the color of it or how cheap it feels (in comparison to the other Sony equipment I own).

My main concern about the Denon is that it's based off of Panasonic's technology, and I've never owned any Denon equipment before. The black/gold color scheme doesn't do much for me either, but it's easier to tolerate than Sony's. In all actuality, I'm sure I'd be fine with either color.

5. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

The 1600 is already available as my store just put em on our shelves today, I have not had time to play with it though.

6. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I own the Sony I bought it and the panny 56 to compare them from tweeter the sony won hands down in every catagory! for $300.00 its a really good dvd player, but with more money Im sure you can do better. I am now looking at either the sony 9000es or the pioneer 47 to upgrade to for more formats. If you can buy from a chain store try it out and you can return it either way but I think you will be pleased ,consumer reports ranked it a great dvd player for the $

good luck Bob

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Personally Curt, I wouldn't worry about a 2800 upgrade when the 3800 will be available in a few weeks. At most, a 2800 upgrade will make it comparable to a 3800 for those who already forked out the dough for the 2800. It is expensive, but appear to be a very well built unit at 20 pounds. I imagine DVD-A/DVD-V playback will be pretty outstanding on this model.

Reg