Sony DVP NS700P DVD player--worth buying?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mac, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

I just purchased a Sony 36" FS13 TV and have it hooked up to a early generation Panasonic DVD (no component output) player. I want to upgrade to a player with a component output, and I saw the Sony, which is also a progressive scan with 2:3 pulldown, but I know that will not do anything for me b/c I do not have the Sony HDTV. For $250.00 is this model worht getting? Any comments on its performance through the component outputs, and how about watching anamorphic dvd's using the 16:9 downconversion option? Thanks.

Mac

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I have a friend that just bought the 36" Sony Wega XBR direct view set and the Sony 700 player. The 2 are just awesome together. The only pain is that if you go progessive from the player, then you have to manually switch the Wega to 16:9 enhanced mode. The default when fed a 480p signal is 16:9 enhanced mode off! (Who at Sony thinks that is the right way to go???)

Anyway, the Sony 700 player looks really, really good. A couple of months ago, The Perfect Vision reviewed it and couldn't say enough good about it. If I had the right TV for it (which I don't) I'd buy one tomorrow!!!

3. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Its a bargain. Especially since you can get it for around $200 mail order. Do a search using google. I bought one for my daughter and the picture is outstanding for its price.

rw

4. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

I have it for 8 months and I love it. It's a good deal and I would go for it.

Enjoy...

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Is this DVD a better value than the Panasonic RP-91 for twice the price? Or is the extra money for the RP-91 worth it?

These are the 2 DVD players I'm actually looking at.

thanks,

Jim

6. Mac

Mac Agent

Thanks for the info!!! Would you recommend it even if I do not have a HDTV, or would I be paying too much for something I will not be able to use--progressive scan capability? Any one use it for just regular viewing through the component outs? Thanks.

Mac

7. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Jim,

it's a better value than Panasonic if it's hooked up to a 4:3 TV like the regular Sony XBRs. Although the chroma bug on it is more apparent, I don't see it in regular viewing. If you have a 16:9 TV and a lot of non-anamorphic DVDs, then I would think that Panasonic might be a better companion because of it's aspect ratio control.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dmitry. I think I have my TV selection narrowed down to either the new 40" WEGA Sony or the Samsung SLK407W ... both of those fit in my entertainment center. One is 4:3 direct view the Samsung is 16:9 rptv. So they couldn't be more opposite! LOL [​IMG]
    I have to find a store that has them both and try to do a lengthy viewing test.
    thanks for the DVD info !