Sony DVP-NS300 any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick_F, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

A friend of mine recently bought a Sony DVP-NS300 DVD player(which really sucks as I was planning on getting him a DVD player). Is it any good when compared to another DVD player in its price range; specifically the Panny RP56?

I really need to know so I can tell hime whether to take it back or not.

2. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

Also I want to know if it players VCDs that are burned onto CD-Rs?

I've looked up some reviews and they list it as playing DVDs, music CDs, and Video CDs but they also say it doesn't support CD-R/RW playback. For the quality it doesn't seem to do very well.

I'd really like some feedback!

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Sony's next pleyer up, the DVP-NS400, supports CD-R/CD-RW. It only costs a few dollars more.

I have one friend who has the Sony 300 and another who has the Panasonic. I like the Sony better, largely because of the design of the remote, which will also control a TV. The Panasonic's doesn't and also feels clunky in comparison.

Besides the remote, I like the picture on the Sony a little better and I didn't like the Panasonic's onscreen icon-based user interface, which seemed busy compared to Sony.

4. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

Just to confirm; so you're saying that it CAN'T play burned VCDs?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think it will handle VCDs, as most players do, but you would still be better off with the NS400.

6. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

I have the Sony and like it. I haven't had any expereience with CDR/CDRW or burned VCDs or anything so I can't comment on those.

7. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

As I understand it, the wavelength of laster used for DVD doesn't reflect well from the darker surface of CD-R discs. Most players that handle such discs well actually use two different laser pickups, one designed for DVD and the other for CD.

If a particular player doesn't support CD-R, it's not going to support VCDs burned to CD-R. You might get lucky, depending on what brand of blank CD-R was used, but it general, you should stick with players that specifically support CD-R/CD-RW.

In other words, I'd tell your friend to exchange his player for the Sony DVP-NS400. It's a little bit more expensive than the Panasonic, but worth it in my opinion.

8. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

There are better players for the money. I know this because I actually own that player. It doesn't have CD-R/RW compatibility (you have to buy the model up to get that), so no, it won't read burned VCDs (Sony players aren't known for their VCD playback performance anyway).

The Panasonic DVD-RV31 costs about the same and it will read CD-R/RW plus decode MP3. I wish I would have bought that player instead. If you need progressive scan capability, the RP56 costs about $30-50 more.