Sony DVP-NC685V DVD/SACD changer available at crutchfield.com!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by KeithH, Jul 17, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Crutchfield.com has the Sony DVP-NC685V DVD/SACD changer in stock for $250. Here's the link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

Note the first sentence in their product description:

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Kinda reminds me of Sony's 5 disc CD changer from 10 years ago. Well, at least there's another affordable SACD changer on the market now.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, I can't stand those thin buttons on the right side. Yuck! However, since it's a DVD changer, there is probably an open/close button on the remote (and a power on/off button too). So, one really wouldn't have to use the buttons on the front panel.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I agree that it's not exactly gorgeous. It has a smaller profile than my Sony 5-CD changer from a few years back, which may or may not be a good thing. Will there be a comparable piece in the ES line?

Wondering whether to pick this up or wait for the 400 DVD/SACD changer slated for the Fall. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Angelo, I've heard nothing about an ES DVD/SACD changer coming. [​IMG]

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, wasn't there a thread a few weeks ago about two new ES DVD-SACD players slated for the fall? Si? I thought one was a changer and one was single disc...? I believe that's what I read, but my memory stick is scortched![​IMG] Que...?

7. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael,

I hadn't heard anything about new ES DVD/SACD players, though the 'NS999ES is due to be replaced. The announcement of the changers is good news. I am especially intrigued by the 'NC555ES.

Nick,

Thanks for the link.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Hey, it looks like these changers will be silver! That 'CX777ES looks sharp! It looks great for $800 MSRP!

[c][​IMG][/c]

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'm not so keen on the look of the 'NC555ES. It is styled like the new SCD-XA9000ES. Still, the 'NC555ES looks like a great buy at $600.

[c][​IMG][/c]

11. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I just sent email to Oade Bros to see if they are taking orders on the ES yet.

12. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Keith,

You don't like the looks of the 555ES? I think it looks a hell of a lot better than the non-ES changer that you posted about at the top of the thread.

I still have my fingers crossed that Sony will soon announce the creation of an SACD-ONLY version of this DVD-V/SACD player.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt it. [​IMG]

13. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Well, turns out both products that i was refering to were really old units from 2001, and I was freaking out for nothing. Oh, well.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Nick, I agree that the 'NC555ES looks a lot nicer than the 'NC685V. Still, I'm not crazy about the looks of the 'NC555ES. I would like to see it up close and personal to see how well it is built, though.

I am almost certain that Sony will not be releasing a QS SACD player here in the US. Sony has never released one here in the past. Sony used to release QS receivers and minidisc players in the US without the QS badge, but that stopped a couple of years ago. Here in the US, we only get the mass-market line and the ES line. The QS line is in between.

The 'XA333ES is not a new component. It was released overseas at the same time as the 'XA777ES. Sony released the 'C555ES in the US and the 'XA333ES overseas. So think of the 'XA333ES as the overseas version of the 'C555ES.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Nick, just saw your oops comment. Yup, the 'XA333ES is an older model.

16. Brian Paul

Brian Paul Auditioning

So, does anyone know if this player suffers from the chroma bug?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my old '97 DVP-S3000.

-Brian

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, it seems that all Sony progressive-scan players have shown the chroma bug, but it is too early to judge the new models. They aren't out yet! I've seen no reviews of pre-production models.

18. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Oade replied that they have no info on the ES changer yet other than the Sony news releases. They are not on any price list and cannot be ordered yet. The 685 is $225 plus shipping.

19. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

My ES dealer told me that Sony has a fix for the Chroma bug in the DVP-NS999ES, and that they're performing the "fix" as serviceable warranty work.

Is there any truth to this, or is he just blowing smoke up my ass?

20. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Well, talked to my dealer yesterday, and he said that Sony has indeed created an updated chipset, and that they could perform the upgrade right at the store for free for those units that are under warranty. This updated chip allegedly eliminates the CUE in this player. This is very interesting!