Sony DVP-NC665P or Panasonic DVD-F85 ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Walter Smailus, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Walter Smailus

Looking at getting a new player to replace my old Sony 530D. Would like to get a changer this time but the budget is limited to less than $200. I've narrowed it down to these two although finding any kind of review on them seems to be next to impossible. DVD-A and SACD are not that important. What is important is the picture and sound. I have an Onkyo 500 receiver and an older Sony 32" KV32S12 Trinitron. The S-Video does not work and it doesn't have component but the composite picture is still very good and I plan on getting a high def set in a few years (I like to make my stuff last).

Anyone have any experience or words of wisdom on these units?

Thx

2. DaveO

DaveO Auditioning

The Sony, usually $180, is on sale at Best Buy (B&M) for $150. I just picked one up last night, but haven't had a chance to hook it up.

I don't know anything about the Panasonic you listed, but... I had the Panasonic CP72. It lasted 8 months and then died with the infamous H02 error. Since Panasonic has that pathetic 3 month labor warranty, it's now a doorstop, hence the new Sony. I really liked the picture from the CP72, but absolutely despised the remote - I liked the big honking remote from my old Sony 550D (which I had to go back to when the panny croaked). Google H02, H07 re Panasonic and see what I'm talking about. If you don't have a great tv, don't get a panny (in that price range anyway) now expecting it to last until you get an appropriate tv (IMO).

3. Walter Smailus

Thanks DaveO. I hadn't even thought about he warranty difference. I just assumed they were the same (I know, never assume). On that basis alone I'm tempted to go with the Sony. I didn't know they were that cheap at BB either and will have to check it out tomorrow.

Let me know what you think of the Sony thus far.

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It would be interesting to see if Sony finally got rid of the chroma bug on their new players...

Panasonic now has it in their new, cheapy models. They never used to, but Panasonic has gone backwards lately.

Dan

5. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

Walter:

I'm sure the Sony DVP-NC665P will be fine for your application. I tried one with my Toshiba 50H82 HDTV and found the progessive picture vey poor. I replaced it with a Panasonic CP67 (later a Denon 1600) for a huge improvement. But for an S-Video or composite video connection it should be okay

6. Walter Smailus

i picked up the Sony 665 this evening. It just looked like better build quality than the Panasonic and I was happy with my original Sony 530 (except for the voice sync problem). It will be a lot of years before I get an HDTV or anything that can take advantage of progressive scan so this should work out well.

Thanks for all of the input people!!