Sony Dvp-NC655p vs Panny Dvdcp72 ? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan_W, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Jordan_W

Jordan_W Auditioning

Hi all,

I've been out of HT scene for a while and now I've ready to get back into setting up my HT again. I've been reading for while now and just order Sony 34XBR800 as my display. It's about time for me to pick a DVD player. After some research, budget calculating and some of the recommedation on this site, I've decided on these two DVD player. I'll use these DVD for music as well as my DVD viewing for now (70% dvd - 30% music). I've read a tons of great things about RP82 and I believe cp72 is the same but with 5-Disc carousel. Price wise, the sony dvpnc655p is cheaper (employee price $160) but the cp72 (~$206)seems to have better picture from what I read. So which one would you pick and why? Or is there another player that I should consider for ~$200?

thanks in advance for all who replied..

Jordan {: @_@ :}

---------------------------------------------------

Display: Sony KV-34XBR800

-- Still deciding on --

Reciever: Sony STR-DA4ES or ???
    (Budget: ~$550)

Speakers: Dahlquist system 3 or JBL S Series or ???
    (Budget: ~$1000)

2. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

I chose the CP72 because

1) no chroma bug
    2) DVD Audio is an inexpensive bonus
    3) slightly sharper (though more artifact-y) image on 4:3 TV.
    4) Vague concern over low-end Sony DVD reliability

The last one may or may not be a real issue; wasn't the deciding factor in any case.

I'm very happy with the player. It has done everything I've asked it to so far with little fuss. Picture is excellent, de-interlacing is perfect, layer changes are seamless. Carousel operation seems to be fine. No complaints.

If you don't want the DVD Audio, you can downgrade to the CP67, which will be closer in price to the Sony, and give up the DVD Audio.

If Sony offered a unit with SACD capability, it would have been a much harder choice.

3. Jordan_W

Jordan_W Auditioning

Thanks Neil,

If you don't mind me asking, what's DVD-Audio? Sorry been out of the scene for a while and why do I want it? Is there special cable connection need to be made to connect DVD-Audio? What's a chroma bug?

thanks again for the reply..

Jordan

4. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

DVD-Audio is a recently introduced hi resolution, multichannel audio format that hopes to beat Sony's Super Audio CD as the successor to CD. So far neither has made great inroads, but SACD has more software muscle behind it.
    I was looking at both those players and decided on the Panny because it (supposedly) has the good DCDi technology and no chroma bug, plus DVD-Audio thrown in. I'm sure the Sony would satisfy me just fine, though. (DVD-Audio, while potentially a nice plus, is not something I care about very much yet.)
    Just FYI... J&R (www.jandr.com) has the CP72 for $199 + $10 shipping, and there's a $30 mail-in rebate. Final cost around $179. I got one from Onecall on Wednesday at $224 shipped, saw the J&R price and called 'em up to get a refund, no questions asked.

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I had the same delima recently. I decided on the Sony. I've had a Sony s530d for over two years, and it's never given me a single problem. The Panasonic's specs looked great, but when I finally saw the unit, I thought it looked awfully cheap in construction. I'll be using the Sony in interlaced mode for awhile, and then I'll be getting a progressive scan capable hdtv sometime next year. Didn't really care about dvd-audio.

6. Jordan_W

Jordan_W Auditioning

Arrrgh..

So there's one vote for Sony and one vote for Panasonic? Since I really don't know what's DVD-A nor Chroma bug, I can't really decide. Can anyone shed more lights on this topics? Is DVD-A like SACD where you have to find a DVD that's encoded with DVD-A in order to produce superior sound quality?

thanks for those who replied,

Jordan

7. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

Many DVD-A disks are multi-encoded, that is to say they may even have stereo, as well as other 5.1 processing like DTS.(User selected).
    But typically the 'best' sound is in their full DVD Audio format. Some will argue that is based on how well the particular recording lends itself to 6 channel audio reproduction, but there are a lot of reviews out there on various ones to help guide you.
    Overall though, both SACD and DVD-A are quite stunning and give you a very enjoyable experience in clear, dynamic, and full dimensioned sound.
    That's my assessment, and I am a relative newbie to DVD-A myself and find the experience very rewarding.
    I have the CP-72 and initially found the build quality (chassis-wise) on the cheap side also, but I look at it as only disk player, not thoroughbred audiophile electronics.
    But it does everything well as a transport mechanism, and delivers flawless video and audio to my eyes and ears.
    AS integrated as electronics is these days, it should be no surprise they can cookie-cutter these players out at very reasonable prices, have them perform all the functions necessary, and do it all very well besides.

8. TimG

TimG Second Unit

I had a panasonic RV-31 that worked great, ...for 6 months. [​IMG] When it came time to replace it I opted for a Sony. Hopefully it will last longer. The chroma bug doesn't really bother me though, and I doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between the two players on my projector. I guess the 31 kind of soured me on the Panasonic players, but I believe that model had widespread problems and I just happen to pick the one they mess-up. Anyway, I would pick a player for the features you want more so than the brand name.
    TimG

9. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

On the same note, I had a Sony DVP-S360 that only lasted about a year.

10. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

All manufacturers produce some bad units. Panasonic as a whole seems to be doing OK with it's most recent ones. I read plenty of complaints about Sony when I was doing my research.
    As for build quality, I guess I just don't expect that much from a $200 player. I'm fairly in awe of the quality and functionality they're able to pack in at low cost these days. I find the CP72 to be cleanly designed and nice looking; my only niggle is that it's mounted fairly high in my entertainment unit, and I can't read the display very well from down on my couch. Not really a fault of the player, though for whatever reason I didn't have the problem with my old Toshiba.
    What I *am* bummed about is that the price of the CP72 is already lower than what I payed, and the rebate kicked in 5 days after I bought it. [​IMG]
    Jordan: SACD and DVD-A are competing formats to supplement and/or supercede CDs for music. Both offer high-quality 2-channel and multichannel mixes. Both require a player that supports them specifically. Search around and you'll find plenty of info. If you don't want the DVD-A capability, the Panny CP-67 is a little cheaper and functionally equivalent to the Sony.
    The chroma bug is a bug in the MPEG decoders of many DVD players that manifests itself as color banding in certain types of scenes. Some are bothered by it, some not. For more info, go to Chroma bug description.
    Both players you're considering are pretty solid. If you want to make a completely informed selection between them, you'll really need to get yourself up to speed on the myriad of subtle features that DVD players support nowadays. Keep on reading! [​IMG]

11. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

With regards to reading the display on the CP-72, the on-screen display is excellent.