Sony DVP-NC655P has chroma bug

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy Williams, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Tommy Williams

Tommy Williams Auditioning

I bought one of these last night and hooked it up to my Sony 53HS30 through the component inputs (using Monster Cable 400 series cables). While I am sad to say that it exhibits the "chroma bug" as described on the http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html site, the overall picture is AMAZING. I haven't truly calibrated the TV yet using VE, yet the picture on the things I quickly scanned through last night were incredible. And, as I had to really look for this "bug," I am quite pleased with the unit overall. It did default from the factory in Dolby D-PCM mode instead of Dolby Digital (and the DTS setting was "off"), which I find odd, but, other than that, the changer is great.
    I've not posted on this site in FOREVER, and I've been lurking around looking for a review of this player (as I just got the 53HS30). Since there hasn't been one, I thought I'd quickly share my first impression(s). I intend to give it a full workout this weekend, so maybe I'll have more to tell on Sunday.
    Tommy

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tommy, I believe every Sony progressive-scan player to date has shown the chroma bug, so your observations with the 'NS655P do not surprise me. However, it sounds like you have a winner there overall.

You said:

3. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

KeithH,

Couldn't agree with you more regarding manufacturer's assumption. If you are going to use Digital then you better understand what you are doing. Most every digital audio decoder out there handles PCM, but not all handle DD and only the more recent handle dts.

Some take this as a snub to their favorite format, but it is really just protecting a novice from frying things in the first place. Just goes back to RTFM...

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, absolutely. This is why companies have legal departments. That's just want Sony would need -- people frying their amps by feeding DTS soundtracks through incompatible gear because Sony's out-of-box set-up.

5. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Tommy,

Though not on a dedicated thread I have recently (last week) posted my impressions of the the DVP-NC655P as well. I have not checked out the 'dreaded chroma bug' as you have and am not bothered by some imperfections in a $200 investment with so many features. From my research there is nothing in this price class that doesn't represent some form of compromise. My first impressions are quite favorable, though it did take some tweaking (with the help of Avia) to get an acceptable video output. My previous Toshiba SD5109 was the first generation progressive scan machine and is now unable to handle a variety of newer DVD's as well as not being compatible with MP3's.

I also own a first generation Sony S7000 (a classic by today's standards), which is built much more ruggedly. It, however, was listed as a $1200 unit when I bought it (for $850 as I recall) and should not be used as a comparison in this price class. The feature/function set of today's changers is incredible and should be able to stand to stand fairly well in comparison to the pricier first and second generation DVD players from the days when only audio/videophiles where interested in these type of investments. I hope that Sony's durability reputation and my experience will make this unit last at least a couple of years...

Joel

6. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I also bought the 655,

I'm not using it as a progressive scan, but for $250 is the best DVD changer I have ever used. It has very good picture, multiple conection (coax and optical), etc.

I think if it do has the chroma bug, which I havent seen, is still a good deal. I only wish it had SACD, but at this price range I think I'm asking too much.

7. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I got mine on Aug 10th at Ultimate Electronics in Lewisville, TX. They were having an opening weekend sale. The salesman told me he didn't have one in stock but units were coming in on a truck that day. I went back later in the day only to find out from someone else that they weren't getting the black as I had ordered. So, I complained and got the 'out of stock discount' they offered so it all worked out in the end. I did get it just two days later.

Anyway, that's all boring. I am very pleased with the player. It replaced a DVP-S500D - a dinosaur but a very solid machine that has never had a problem. I am not using the progressive on the 655 yet (although I'm tempted to hook it up to my HDTV in another room as that TV does not have reverse 3:2 so I'm dying to see how good it can look). However, the interlaced picture is great. The player is feature rich, quiet and I like the compatibility with CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, MP3 etc.

This is my first carousel player and I'm sold!

N

8. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

How is the shuffle play on this machine? Will it shuffle across all CDs in random order, ie. play song 5 on disc 2, followed by song 3 on disc 4... (vs shuffle all of cd1 followed by cd 2...)

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, I am almost certain the 'NC655P does shuffle play on all CDs. For one thing, Sony was incorporating this feature into its DVD changers while many other manufacturers had DVD changers that only did shuffle play on one CD. My two-year-old Sony DVP-C670D does shuffle play on all CDs. Secondly, shuffle play on all CDs is standard on the majority of DVD changers nowadays. If the 'NS655P didn't do it, I would be shocked.

10. Phil Tomaskovic

I think I read that the top Denon changers did not support shuffle well(because the speed to change discs was so slow, I think), so I wanted to make sure the SOny was still up there. My old Sony dvd changer (the first model) also does it right. I think they say the Denon is slow becuase of the time it takes to change discs and then figure out whether it was cd, dvd-a, dvd, mp3.

So what does Sony do if shuffle is on and picks a disc with mp3's on it?

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, I have often read that DVD changers are slow in shuffle mode. I'm not sure why that is. As for the 'NC655P, handling MP3s, I can't help you, but hopefully someone here can.

12. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Tried it out the other night on my 655, and, AFAIK, the shuffle function is disabled with MP3 discs.
    Haven't tried loading it up with both regular CDs and MP3 discs and using the shuffle feature yet, but I will here in a few and I'll report back here.
    I'd imagine that it will shuffle just fine through the regular CD tracks, but once it hits an MP3 disc, it'll just play the whole thing all the way through.
    I could be wrong though, so I'll go find out. [​IMG]
    . . .
    OK, just tried it. Loaded up four total discs, three "regular" CDs and the fourth, an MP3 disc. Did "All Discs - Track Shuffle". Once it got to Disc 4 (MP3 disc), it read the CD, but then kicked it to the next track from one of the normal CDs. Skipped through the next ten or twelve tracks, and they were all from Discs 1, 2, and 3--and it never went back to Disc 4 again.
    Would be neat if it could skip through the MP3 tracks, but its not that big of a deal, not to me, anyway.

13. Phil Tomaskovic

Thanks for trying it out and reporting Matt!

14. Phil Tomaskovic

Hmmm... Crutchfield is now reporting it "on sale" for $229. I always read Crutchfield's sale prices as just a drop in the list price, wonder what's up?

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil,
    That sure is a quick price drop on the 'NC655P. I'd like to think that means that a progressive-scan DVD/SACD changer is coming (i.e., a replacement for the 'NC650V). However, I've heard nothing to that effect, so for now, that is my wishful thinking. [​IMG]
    Matt,
    Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

16. Phil Tomaskovic

I wrote to Oade for their price and asked if they knew of anything coming down the line...

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, please let us know what Oade Bros. says. I am disappointed by the fact that Sony has not yet offered a progressive-scan DVD changer with SACD. The 'CX875P megachanger you asked about in another thread does not play SACDs. [​IMG]

18. Phil Tomaskovic

Here is what Jim Oade replied to my email: hi phil, the 875p is 395.00, plus 25.00 s/h. we double box all shipments
    for added protection. the 655p is 195.00, plus 20.00 s/h.
    they just dropped the price on the 655p. there is now only one
    300 disc dvd changer, and it is the 875p. it blows away both of last years
    models. i got a chance to play with it at the sony conference in vancouver
    last week, and it is an awesome piece!

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, thanks for sharing the e-mail reply from Jim Oade. He is great to deal with. However, I wonder what he meant by "blows away" in regards to the 'CX875P versus last year's megachangers. I have a series of questions, which admittedly are rhetorical in nature. Did he just mean in terms of picture quality? The 'CX875P is a progressive-scan model, while last year's models were just interlaced players. So the 'CX875P should blow away the older units in terms of picture quality if the former is used in progressive-scan mode. However, perhaps he meant that the interlaced output of the 'CX875P is better? Is the 'CX875P a better CD player? I wonder. It's too bad he wasn't more specific.

I still wonder why Sony dropped the price of the 'NC655P already. It could just be in response to the competition or the economy. I doubt the 'NC655P is being discontinued already.

20. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor