Sony DVP-NC600B experts opinion needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greg bawin, Jan 15, 2002.

1. greg bawin

greg bawin Auditioning

i just received this player as a gift and the only problem that i can see with it, is that it doesn't offer progressive scan. at the moment i don't have a hdtv capable tv yet, but i'm considering buying the sony 36" xbr model which is hdtv capable. my question is, should i keep this player or opt for one that offers progressive scan? how will a non progressive scan player perform on an hdtv capable screen? in case you don't know, this player does have component outputs so i would at least be able to use that connection on the xbr (if i end up getting it)

any opinions or thoughts welcome....

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I don't have a great deal of first-hand experience with this, but the consensus I've read is that the XBR450 has pretty good doubling/3:2 pulldown, and the advantage to be gained with a sub-$1000 progressive player would be subtle at best.

I have a 32" XBR450 being fed from a Sony NS500V (same as yours in a single-disc chassis) and I'm quite pleased with the results.

I have noticed a *bit* of "combing" now and again on shot-on-film/edit-on-video sources (Sex and the City, for example) -- so an upgrade to a good video-handling prog player *may* be worthwhile, but I certainly don't think a prog player is mandatory for this set.

Ryan

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan said:

4. Ryan Spaight

Keith,

Mea culpa. Got the 600 and 650 confused. You are correct.

The SACD was the main reason I got the 500, and it was worth every penny!

Ryan

5. greg bawin

greg bawin Auditioning

excuse my innocence but what does SACD mean?

6. Ryan Spaight

Super Audio CD. It's a new audio-only format from Sony/Phillips that uses a new type of digital audio encoding that, at least in my experience, produces sound quality several steps above regular CD. All discs contain a stereo mix, and some additionally have 5.1 "multichannel" mixes. There's not a whole lot discs on the market at the moment, but I'd love to see the format take off.

Ryan

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan said: