SONY DVP-CX985V 400 Disc DVD / SACDPlayer

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Will_B, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Can anyone confirm that this is the ONLY multiple disc SACD player in existence?

If so, any news on others coming out before Xmas?

(Beyond 5-disc carousels that is)

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

It's not.

I know of at least one other, the ES version, the DVP-CX777ES.

Take a look...

777ES at Oade Brothers

3. Muhammed

Muhammed Agent

There's also a few 5-disc models. Philips has at least one (i'm not sure as to the model number). Sony's got the DVP-NC685V.

As far as mass changers go (say 100 discs or more) that's the only one that I know of, along with the 777ES noted above. For some reason mass-disc DVD changers don't seem as common as CD changers did a few years ago.

4. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

From Crutchfield's description (applies to both units):

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

This one is tempting to me because I enjoy random play of my music, so single disc units (and even 5 disc carousels) just aren't going to be very useful.

From the epinions I've read, you can basically load anything except DVD-As into this Sony, and output it all through its 5.1 outs, and you'll be fine; it will decode to 5.1 when it needs to for SACD material (or even for your older DTS-CDs, if you have any), or it will output stereo through two of those 5.1 outs if that's all there is. You don't have to connect the stereo digital out unless you really enjoy having to flip between settings on your receiver. (I suppose some receivers might detect which has a signal and would do the flip automatically, but, I dont think mine does).

The one drawback about this Sony unit is that with room for 400 discs, it is 21 inches deep - nearly two feet deep! I'd rather buy a 200 disc version IF they had one, assuming it will be smaller.

I think I'll wait until December and just try to keep an ear to whether variations on this unit will be forthcoming.

6. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

As far as I know almost all SACD/DVD players will always output via the 5.1 analog outputs, and use the main L/R pair of the 5.1 output for any stereo sources. However, the question still comes up whether the PCM DACs in something like the CX985 are better than the DACs in the receiver (a DA5ES in my case). If so then there is no problem, use the 5.1 outputs for everything. If not, then it might be worth the hassle of using the digital output for CD and DVD disks. For the CX985 it might be a close contest. For the CX777ES I'd have to think that it would have the better DACs... Of course it also costs twice as much.

I have a feeling Sony will not produce a 200 disc version, since they don't seem to have anything other than 300 and 400 disc changers lately. And if you think about people actually loading up their whole CD/SACD collection and DVD collection into a megachanger, 200 might be abit tight. Especially if you take in to account leaving gaps between disks for organizational purposes.

-- Dave