What's new

Sony DVP-CX985, Production halted? (1 Viewer)

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
I've searched here and could not find any information, so decided to post.

I have been trying to purchase a Sony DVP-CX985 and everwhere I have checked is out. My local Circuit City claims these units are no longer in production do to a mechanical defect with the disc handling.

Does anyone have any additional news? How about an alternative in the same price range? Not really interested in the SACD abilities. Mainly looking for a good, affordable high capacity DVD changer.

Thanks

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Very happy with the Denon 1815...picked it over the Sony for the zoom feature...$349 at Crutchfield...have so far viewed apx 20 DVDs, most having 2 discs, all played fine....music CDs and MP3 files on CD-R are superior compared to my Sony 5 disc CD changer.

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
Eric F

They're making it up. You can get one from www.sonystyle.com or www.my.sony.com

It's on the site but, when you add it to the shopping cart, a message box pops up stating it is "currently unavailable".

I ordered one from 4cost.com last week for $335 shipped. It arrives tommorow.

Didn't see it at 4cost.

Mark:F

Very happy with the Denon 1815...

I am mainly looking for a high capacity DVD changer to house a DVD collection. Thanks for the input though.

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
I finally picked up my DVP-CX985.

How is everyone entering in their DVD collection? I initially loaded 10 discs and only one loaded completetly, a second loaded title only and the other eight where just recognized as being DVD.

I haven't had time to play around with it too much or read the manual other than a quick start.

Are there any other sites that have a big following for these changers?

Thanks for any feedback and links to tips, comments etc on this changer.

-JohnA

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
John, If you have very many disks in your collection your in for some fun. This player is an absolute piece of crap to load up. Once everything is in its pretty easy for the most part to use. Its just getting everything in & loaded that really sucks.
It took me around five hours or so to load my collection of around 260 disks.

Also you might check out www.agoraquest.com They are an all Sony topic site. You can find quite a bit there on these changers.

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator

I'm also looking at this changer. Could you please explain in more detail what's the problem when loading up? If you take the discs out, then reinsert it, do you have to go through the whole process of loading up again?

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
David, There are just several steps to it. first off don't rely on the player to name them for you because you'll quickly find out that you wont end up with very many disks with a jacket or text. First loading is slow because the player wonts to read each disk before you can name it. I found the best way that worked for me was to load about 10-15 disks at a time keeping a list in the same order that they were loaded. Than you have to close the player let it load the first disk you started with on your list, stop the disk after a couple sec, than you hit folder on your remote, wich will bring up disk explorer, than hit edit on the remote ( twice if I rember right ) than enter on your key board & finally type in the name. From there you will go onto your next disk & repeat the same process.

Don't get me wrong it's not all that bad it's just very time consuming the first time you load your whole collection. And yes if you remove a disk it will erase that information so its a good idea to keep a back up hard list of where everything is. But loading a disk here & there is nothing after the majority is in so adding a couple later is nothing.
I hope that answers your questions....

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your reply. I just ordered this unit from B&H for $349 + shipping. I guess I'll find out more when I try to load my discs.

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
Joe

Thanks for the tips and link. I still have not had time to load any discs.

Hopefully in the coming days I can give it a try.

-JohnA

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
No problem John. You'll be at it for awhile if you have very many in your collection. Let me know if you have any trouble along the way. I'll be glad to help out as much as I can.

Good luck

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the Sony DVP-CX985V yesterday and have been playing around with it. Several things I noticed so far...

1) Blue light from the case can't seem to be turned off, even though the display panel can be turned off. I should probably put the player a little farther from my TV so I don't have that blue light in my field of view.

2) Disc change light is always on when the player is turned on. Also, I never press 'Disc Change' button when I want to change disc. I wonder if that'll cause any problem. So far, the button doesn't seem to do anything.

3) In Disc Explorer view, there are 2 columns to disc text information. I can edit the top line but could never move the cursor to the 2nd line to edit/add text on 2nd line. Anyone know how to do that?

4) The buttons like Time/Text, Audio, Subtitle are in toggle mode so when you press the buttons to display the info, it toggles to the next setting. Pretty annoying. Manual said it will toggle only when you press the button the 2nd time.

5) Is there any way to continue playing disc while changing discs in other slots? I can do this in my old Onkyo 5 disc player. Miss this feature in the new Sony player.

Well, that's all the questions I have so far. Probably more when I play some more. But so far, thumbs up for this player. I got it for $349 + shipping.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked mine up today at Best Buy. I work there, so I got a great deal on it. I went in search of them yesterday and today. At the store that I work at they only have the display model and one open box unit. I didn't want to take a chance with this being a multi-disc changer and all, so I went elsewhere. Drove about 45 minutes to another store that claimed to have 2 units, but both of them (not counting the display) were also open box units. It annoys me that people buy units, use them, then return them leaving the next person with a used unit.

I had almost given up but then I went to the second closest store to my house and low and behold, they had 3 units, all new and boxed (they didn't even have a display unit up). Went on line and bought, final cost?

$297 after tax.

Hopefully I'll have find some time to enter in the names of all the discs, even if it takes hours upon hours.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
David, (1) The blue light will not shut off no matter what you do, pretty annoying if you ask me but I've gotten used to it myself. (2) My disk change light is always on as well. I don't really understand the point of it & I never use it either. (3) As far as I know there is no way at all to edit the second column, however if you have any SACD's it will fill this column with the disk title. (4) not real sure about. (5) There is no way to change a disk with one playing. If you was to take apart the player ( please don't ) the disk will still protrude about halfway into the carasol so there is no way it can turn wile one is loaded & playing.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else add pictures to your title? I know it takes more time, but I'm starting to add a picture of the menu screen to accompany the description.

One thing I notice that I don't like is that WB DVDs will autoname your DVD for you and not allow you to edit the title. Sort of annoying when I edit the names of the rest of my DVDs in Caps and lowercase and WB discs are all CAPS. I also notice that Columbia DVDs will autoname themselves.

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator

I just found out that if I press the button 'Direct Search', it will turn off the Disk Change light. Now, I need to figure out what the button 'Direct Search' do.

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I just thought of a question to ask you guys who have the 985 player. Is there any special technique you use to add and remove discs from the changer? The reason I'm asking is that it seems like when I tried to add discs that are next to each other, it's pretty easy for one disc to touch its neighbor. I'm a little afraid that it will get scratched up adding/removing discs from the changer. Also, it's pretty tough to remove a disc when its sandwiched between two discs. Even using the Eject button, the disc is not protruded out fat enough to be able to remove the disc easily.

Anyways, I'm just rambling as thought cross my mind on my Sony changer.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
David, I have two mega changers & have had a 300 a few years ago & have never had trouble with scratches. If you think about it the only place that really touches on the disks when they do is the very outer edge where there is no information. I think it is pretty difficult as well to remove disks, but myself its very rare that I take any out. Even with moving my changers several times fully loaded I have never noticed any problems with any scratches or anything to my disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks