Sony DVP-C650D Power Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EGM, Aug 10, 2001.

1. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

I have had this player for over a year now, and love the build and picture quality. However, there has been a recent problem that concerns me.
    Periodically when I turn the player on it will immediately shut off. This only happens once, then when I try again it stays on. If I turn the player on and off over a short amount of time, this problem does not occur.
    Anyone out there have this problem or can diagnose it?
    Thanks for your help!
    GM

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Galen, I had the exact same problem as you with three different 'C650D units that had different manufacturing dates and serial number series. They came from two different stores in July 2000. I went through three 'C650D units in a week. These were brand new units out of sealed boxes. Like you, I would experience an automatic shutdown the first time I tried to turn the player on each day. When I turned it on immediately after it shut off, it would stay on as normal. Also, if I turned it off myself and turned it back on, say ten minutes or an hour later, it would stay on.
    In calling Sony about the problem after getting a third bum unit, they said that it was known for some 'C650D players to have a bad integrated circuit (IC) chip, which can be replaced. I could have had the player repaired under warranty, but I decided to get a refund and wait for the Sony DVP-C670D, which came out a month later. Sony assured me that the 'C660 and 'C670D would be free of the problem, and they were right. I should have waited for the 'C670D in the first place, but the 'C650D was being discounted at the time (as the 'C660 and 'C670D are now) and I was impatient.
    The 'C670D has some added and improved features and is smaller than the 'C650D (shorter and not as deep). I also like the 'C670D remote better than the one supplied with the 'C650D. If the 'C650D is frustrating you and the warranty has expired, you might consider moving to the 'C660 or 'C670D. I've been extremely pleased with the 'C670D.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on August 10, 2001 at 01:53 PM]

3. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Keith,
    I actuallly think I can stand the problem as it doesn't happen everytime. I did look at the 660 and 670 when they came out, but thought the build quality was not on par with the 650. I believe I read that the 650 was the last model that Sony built in Japan before they moved the bulk of their manufacturing to other Asian locales.
    If and when I do upgrade, I am going to keep this unit as a backup, and get a progressive player. I enjoy the luxury of having the changer, but could live without it.
    The one thing I must say though, is that this player is excellent in picture quality, a couple notches better than lower model Sony DVD players, and pretty close to their top of the line player. Of course, this was at the time I purchased this player (which I only paid $47 for new) [​IMG]
    If this does eventully become a chronic problem I may get it fixed seeing as I didn't spend much on it to begin with.
    Thanks again!
    GM

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No problem, Galen. $47 for a new 'C650D? Wow! It is a nice changer, but while the 'C670D is smaller, I didn't notice a difference in the carousel mechanisms between the two. That was something I paid particular attention to. Also, I found no difference in picture quality. I've always been happy with Sony DVD players, except for the power-up problem with the 'C650D. When it stayed on, it performed very well.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime