What's new

Sony DVP 7700 Won't Read Discs (1 Viewer)

Alan Markow

Agent
Since a power blip yesterday, my Sony DVP 7700 DVD player seems to have lost its ability to read any disc. I used to have a formula for getting into the maintenance menu of a 7000 and re-aligning the system, but it doesn't work for my 7700. Does anyone know how to get into this menu using the remote control? Any other ideas? I've powered down the system, including shutting down its power source. I don't think anything is badly damaged because the system is protected by a Furman power control unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Alan :frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Curious, Alan, but what kind of "power blip" did you experience--a brownout? A spike?

This is also interesting given how ruggedly built the former Sony flagship player was. May I ask how often you ran the machine (and for how long during a typical viewing session)?

I hope it's a case of simple misalignment. Please keep us updated. Sorry about your problems. (Do you have a backup player to tide you over?)

Alan Markow

Agent
Jack -- I wasn't in the house when it happened, but it had all the earmarks of a brief power outage (a power company issue -- so it was a whole house outage). As far as my usage, it's generally one movie in a given evening (and on rare occasions I might watch two or three movies). But I keep the unit's power "on" all the time, as I do with the majority of my HT system. The unit's reaction is very much like a problem that occasionally plagued the 7000. A disc would throw it off, and it would not play another one without a re-alignment. The first disc I tried to play after the outage was the new Pulp Fiction.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes. I have a second DVD player in the house.

Alan

David Allum

Stunt Coordinator
From the power off state you can get into the service menu by keying [TITLE] [CLEAR] [POWER] on the remote.

Users who are viewing this thread