Sony DVP 7000 Broke Comparable Replacement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Humpres, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Brian Humpres

Brian Humpres Auditioning

[​IMG] My Sony 7000 is dead. Won't play Audio CD's. Technician says that the "digital board is cracked", anyone know what the digital board is/does. Would it prevent Dvd's from playing? Before I sent it in Dvd's would play fine. Just no CD Playback. Since it had Dual pick-ups would it have two digital boards? What I am getting at is could this board have been "cracked" at the service center?
    Also, I purchased an extended warranty from the Good Guys. They will replace it with a "comparable player. What is a comparable player. Keep in mind, I like Sony. I bought the best Sony had to offer at the time. Everything I own is Sony. If I bought a player to day it would be a 9000es. What are some opinions on this. What might Good Guys call a comparable player. How does their Warranty actually work?
    Thanks

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

I'd say either the 9000 or the 900 is a comparable player from your point of view, they both cost about the same as the 7000 did when it was new.

However you can bet your bippy that GG is going to take the position that a comparable player is going to be one with comparable features, which means the bottom of the line player. Good luck.

3. Brian Humpres

Thanks John, that's what I think they will say too.

Isn't fair is it?

Brian

4. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

They give you that comparable player crap tell them that you paid for a top of the line player and you should be compensated with a top of the line player.

That old Sony is built like a tank compared to the lowend sh!t available.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

You should probably insist that since it was a Sony and a Dual pickup device that any comparable machine have both of those features. They are both definable and provable features and any "comparaple" machine should have them, especially the dual pickups.

6. Jon Cielo

Jon Cielo Agent

7. Brian Humpres

Thanks for all the replys.

I will be going to GG's in the next couple of days. I'll keep this post updated.

Brian

8. Brian Humpres

Which players might have dual-pickups today?

Brian

9. Brian Humpres

WOW!!! Talked with management over at the Good Guys. WOW!!!

I paid $949 + tax + service contract for my old 7000.

They UNDERSTOOD that I bought a highend player. They gave me $1000 credit to be applied to the player of my choice.

WOW!!!

I wasn't about to argue. This was far more than I had ever expected. I had them order a 9000ES.

WOW!!!

10. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

That is tremendous!

11. Jon Cielo

Jon Cielo Agent

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Glad to hear things worked in your favor! You're going to LOVE the 9000ES. I've had mine over a year and it's the crown jewel of my system (along with the HDTV). It'll look great in your gear list too, alongside the TA-E9000ES and TA-N9000ES: