Sony DVP 360 with the 13:00 error? Now can't read any discs

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MikeBoehm, Mar 14, 2004.

1. MikeBoehm

MikeBoehm Stunt Coordinator

I remember reading about this a long time ago but since I hadn't had it I don't remember what it was.

I was watching a DVD today and it skipped in one spot and then froze up like it was out of sync and the player was trying to find where it was supposed to be. It froze for about 30 seconds and then came back with the C 13:00 error on the screen. I attemped to power it off and on, eject the disc and put it back in, eject the disc and put in a completely different movie, etc. It now won't read any of my DVDs at all. I tried 4 different movies and they all come back "No Disc".

Is the player now useless or what? And is there any official information on this provided by Sony because I do have an extended warranty on this thing so if I can take it back because this is a known problem, that'd be great.

Thanks!!
    --Mike

2. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Mike,
    Have you tried re-calibrating? Some Sony's have an auto calibrate function built in.
    I don't know if this applies to your model of player, but it's worth a try.

Info is here.
    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonydvd.html

Tom

3. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Sounds like a laser read error. I get this anytime I put a DVD-R or the like in a lot of Sony players when I'm playing around at Best Buy -- I have one particularly torture disc that virtually no player will even load, much less play. Sometimes it will say "imcompatible disc or region", sometimes "dirty disc," sometimes it just locks up.

Unplug it for a few hours then retry and see if it resets itself. If you have access to the automatic alignment in the service menu, it might be worth a try, but I suspect the most likely course is a service/repair.

4. MikeBoehm

What does unplugging it accomplish? I unplugged it for about 5 minutes or so and tried again with no luck... WOuld leaving it unplugged for an extended period of time make soemthing else happen that will fix it?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This player is not worth service/repair at this point, as you could get a new player for what it will cost. Unplugging it may take a while. My 560 kept its memory for over a day, the last time I moved.

6. MikeBoehm

Well I took it to Best Buy since it's still covered by warranty and they are sending it in to do whatever they do to it. Guess we'll see what happens.

The guy who looked at it said it sounded like the laser was bad. Who knows...

7. Asalante

Asalante Agent

Happened to mine to very common with sony's. New doorstop [​IMG]

8. David C Lin

David C Lin Stunt Coordinator

I just got a Sony CX-985V 400 MegaChanger and it failed load a DVD disc with a C13 error. I tried the same DVD disc on 3 of my other DVD players (Onkyo DR-C500, Apex AD1500, and DVD-ROM drive) without any problem. I also played many discs on this Sony MegaChanger without any problem. So should I be worried that it couldn't play this single disc?

9. MikeBoehm

Can it play other discs? When mine went bad it wouldn't read anything at all.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Well, looks like your extended warranty paid off. I don't generally pick up a longer than 1yr extended warranty for something like this, because by the time the warranty was up, there will be better models to replace it with.

11. Brad Hood

Brad Hood Agent

This is a well known problem with this particular Sony model. In fact, it's a manufacturing error that Sony is aware of, but they have so far refused to recall the players.

Basically, there's a fuse on one of the circuit boards that is rated too low for the current going through it. Eventually, the fuse fails and you start getting that error message. I fixed mine by removing the fuse and soldering the two terminals together.

There were some specific instructions posted on the web somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

12. Brad Hood

Brad Hood Agent

Well, looks like that site has been taken down, and I don't seem to have saved a copy of the instructions anywhere.

I still have mine (560, actually) and it still works, but I used the temporary out-of-order status to convince my wife it was time to upgrade to a multi-region progressive scan player.

I say if you can take advantage of the Best Buy extended warranty to get a new player, that's probably your best move.

13. Rino C

Rino C Agent

Try wwwdotbenmorrisdotnet/dvd/

I don't know if it's the same site that Brad Hood was referring to but the site shows how to fix Sony 360 player by replacing a fuse on the circuit board.

Sorry about the URL. I am not allowed to paste URL yet. Just replace the word dot with an actual dot.

14. Brad Hood

Brad Hood Agent

Yep, that's the one. The page wouldn't load this morning, but now it's working fine.

http://www.benmorris.net/dvd/

Anywho, I followed those directions and it worked like a charm.

Good luck!

15. David C Lin

David C Lin Stunt Coordinator

It can play other discs I throw at it. So far of all the discs I tried, it failed on that specific disc. I would typically just ignore it except in this case, it runs fine on 3 other DVD players. Not sure if it's a quirk in Sony player or what.