What's new

Sony DVDs = No Spanish Subtitles (1 Viewer)

George_fsf

Agent
Have you guys noticed that all recent sony movies on dvd only have english and french audio and subtitles. It seems that they have drop Spanish in all of their dvds, not even the upcoming Legend of Zorro dvd has spanish subtitles.

I think that is wrong with so many latin people here in the US.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Many of them, especially Sony Pictures Classics titles, don't even include English subtitles.

Historically, Sony discs seem to have random selections of subtitles, but lately, they do tend to stick to just English and French (I believe the French subtitles may be a requirement for Canada). I'll keep an eye on this.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I have many older Sony titles which include subtitles in Korean, Thai, Chinese etc. which leads me to believe the discs are actually encoded for multiple regions, most likely R1/R3. I haven't verified this, however.

It would be nice if they at least included subtitles in English. HTPC users can take advantage of closed captioning, but that does not work on televisions over here.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Thanks Aaron, I wasn't aware of that. In that case, studios should release every title with English subtitles.

And I agree with George, it does seem odd to exclude such a large potential audience by not including Spanish subtitles on North American releases.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
What I think is weird is a Sony title "Fools Rush In" has a Spanish language track and they got someone else other than Salma Hayek to do that version! You'd think Salma would do her own Spanish dub! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks