sony dvd with both 5.1 channel & digtaldecoder & digtal coax & optical outs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David D. C., Mar 31, 2002.

1. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

was this a good buy? my reciever does not have a digetal in only 5.1 channel inputs so i bought a dvd player with a digtal decoder with 5.1 outputs and it also has two digtal outs 1 for cable and 1 for optical is this a winner? a denon sales rep says no

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

David- What you've got is slightly dated but you probably got it for a good price. Make the six connects and judge for yourself. 95% of us don't have 100% of everything and we still seem to find a way to enjoy what we do have.

3. tony randall

tony randall Stunt Coordinator

The 5.1 outputs on the dvd player are used for playing DVD-Audio discs. You will need to have a receiver with 5.1 inputs to use this format. However, based on my one DVD-A that I purchased, this format is pure crap. I have some open posts looking for help on why I do not get the 6 channel sound when playing DVD-A discs through these outputs, so maybe that statement will change.

The digtal outs, 1 for cable and 1 for optical, can be used for playing standard cd's and movies. If you have a dolby digital receiver, you need to hook up through one of these for watching movies.