Sony DVD players have Bookmarks, others have?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norm, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I am going to buy a different brand, I'm sick of the problems I've had with Sony, but I love the Bookmarks feature, do other players have a similar feature?

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Please enlighten me, what is the bookmark feature?

3. Chris_Eff

Chris_Eff Stunt Coordinator

The bookmark feature lets you mark the place in your movie that you are currently viewing and will let you start from that spot again the next time you watch that movie.
    I know the newer Sony's do this automatically and the next time you place the disc in it will start from the last scene viewed. Other players allow you to manually set the bookmark.
    This feature is needed since a dvd is digital and will lose its spot when the disc is removed or power is turned off. Unlike a vhs tape that is linear and will remain in the spot last viewed.

4. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I can't believe that Sony is the only one that has this. I would be lost without it on my dvd changer.

5. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Actually the Sony bookmarking feature remembers up to 9 scenes per disc (set by pushing a button on the remote) for 200 discs. There's a menu that you can pull up that will give you thumbnails of the the first shot of the nine scenes and you can select from there. Best...feature...ever.

6. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    The only thing I don't like is the button pushing to get to the thumbnails, otherwise its a must feature. I though all DVD players had this feature, I can't believe they don't.

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Yeah, they should've had access by pushing the corresponding # key as well, being that there are 9 scenes it would be easier to incorporate to the # keys.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My Panasonic CP-72 changer will bookmark one spot on the disc at a press of a button on the remote, and the disc will start from there next time it's played, but only if the disc isn't removed from the player. It can also bookmark 4 or 5 spots on the disc. As far as I know it won't remember bookmarks for discs once they're removed from the player.

9. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    You can take a disc out watch it months later and it will still show you the bookmarks. It store up to 100 if my memory servers me right, you can also erase all bookmarks or set them to expire as you make newer ones.

10. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Samsung DVD players also have a bookmark feature.

11. Chris_Eff

I have the sony dvp-ns755v and it records the bookmark feature automaticlly when I stop the movie. I don't have to touch a thing. It will then restart from that spot when I push play again, or when I return the disk after playing other ones. I had an older fisher before this player and I had to enter the bookmark manually. Either way it accomplishes the same thing.

12. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    My old school Toshiba 2008 does that. If I turn the power off while a disc is playing when I turn it back on the movie starts from the same spot.

13. Chris_Eff

I think from this forum that it appears to be a standard feature on dvd players. Anyone know of a player that does not have it?
    I agree that it is wonderful feature to be able to resume play back when you have to stop watching a movie. It might have been added to the specs to stop consumers from complaining about being unable to resume a movie like VHS.

14. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I'm not talking about resume play. I'm talking about marking any spot on the dvd even when you remove the disc, it will let you find the spot with a thumbnail screen you can save 9 spots.

15. Chris_Eff

Sorry if my last post was confusing, I meant resume in the same way that you would resume using the book mark at a later date. It is cool that your bookmarks are marked with a thumbnail. I had only previously seen bookmarks marked by their title, chapter and time on the disk.
    As far as if other players will save with a thumbnail I am not sure, but other players should let you save your spot on the disc.

16. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I believe the JVC 502SL I got has it,