Sony DVD player...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FelixJose, Jul 18, 2002.

1. FelixJose

FelixJose Auditioning

I have another question, it my DVD player:
    I think i should upgrade because im really frustrated with the widesceen options:

I have a Sony DVD Player. An Explorer that holds 200 CD/DVD M#: DVP CX850D

I'm having problems setting to 4:3 to 16:9 or even the smaller Widescreen. Why dont I have this option? I press Display, but this screen option does not apear.

Also what is the difference between the three different settings 2 widescreen and 1 regular TV?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not sure if I follow you, Felix.

Do you have a 16:9 display--or a 4:3 display with a 16:9 mode? If so, just set your player to output at 16:9--and be done with it. That's all. A 4:3-encoded DVD will still play at 4:3, while a 16:9-encoded DVD will produce a 16:9 image.

You do not have to switch modes in the DVD player. Once will suffice.

3. FelixJose

FelixJose Auditioning

Jack,

Thankyou for your response. the problem is that i dont think my DVD player has that option. I can't switch modes. I was wondering if someone familiar with that player new how to, or it just doesnt have that widescreen option.

thanx

felix

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Felix,

I think you might be mistaking what the widescreen setting of a DVD player does and how to use it. I'm getting this from your reference to "even the smaller widescreen."

DVD players have three options, but the wording may be slightly different from one brand to another. They are:

4:3 letterbox: This setting is for if you have a standard (non-widescreen) TV set. It displays the full widescreen image the way it was intended to be seen, and downconverts enhanced pictures to display correctly on a standard TV.

4:3 pan-and-scan: This setting is also for use with a standard TV. With DVDs that have been encoded for this mode, the DVD player zooms in on the picture, filling the screen, and then electronically "pans-and-scans" the image. Very few, if any, DVDs have been encoded to take advantage of this mode, so in almost every case it will be virtually indistinguishable from the setting above.

16:9: This setting is for connecting a DVD to a widescreen TV. It displays the image properly on a widescreen TV, prserving the additional resolution made possible by widescreen enhancement. If you mistakenly set your player to output 16:9 and connect your player to a standard TV, the picture will appear vertically stretched out of proportion. Some people use this mode to "get rid of the black bars," even though the picture is distorted.

We could do a better job of helping you if you told us what type of TV you have and what you're trying to do.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Felix, this is off-topic, but did you play major league baseball? There was a Felix Jose in the majors a few years back, and it's not a common name. Just curious. I hope you don't mind my asking. [​IMG]

6. FelixJose

FelixJose Auditioning

No, I never played in the majors but i know who you're talking about. Felix Jose, who played shortstop for the cardinals.

I'm sorry if i've confused you guys. as you can see i dont know too much about this.

I have a regular 53" Sony (33" - 40" nonewidescreen) I really never minded the letterbox when it was smaller. Now the new DVD's have thicker letterbox, and it bothers me a lot. My question is why can't my DVD player change these settings?

sorry, and thanx again:

Felix

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Felix, thanks. I had to ask. If you were the former baseball player, I might have mailed you an RCA cable or jewel case for you to autograph. [​IMG]

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer