What's new

Sony DVD Player Vs. Toshiba (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Which do you guys believe is better the Toshiba SD-4800
or the Sony DVP-NS715P? What is the difference in the D/A converter mean?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
is there a loss in quality with the Toshiba? Or are you simply paying for the SONY name with the other DVD player?

Sathyan

Second Unit
I am not familiar with either of those models but bought a Sony and Toshiba DVD player (in the under $150 range) this summer. I did not see a difference in quality between the two (either video or audio). Both have been reliable thusfar (2 mos.) with the Sony a bit better on damaged discs. The key differences are in the interface. Toshibas provide more front panel control (the absence on Sony is frustrating) but has poor MP3 navigation.
If both have the features you need, I would go with the cheaper one and consider warranty extension

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
You'll probably get a lot of mixed feeling between these two models. When I first began researching HT, I heard nothing but bad about Sony. But I think it comes in waves. Recently, I've heard nothing too bad about them. The same goes with Toshiba.
If you have the chance to test them, go for it and see which you like better. If you're unsure about quality (I am :) ), make sure the warranty is nice or you get a good plan from the store you buy them from. I think Best Buy offers a store warranty for pretty cheap, for example. Then you'd be set for reliability and have a physical body to return it to if you're not satisfied.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
It seems to me, from my informal observations in the Software forum here, that most problems with disc compatibility occur with Toshiba players.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
i have a toshiba dvd, one of the cheaper models, and it works great. both companies make quality products. my concern with sony has more to do with their marketing practices (in canada) than their overall quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks