Sony DVD Player Vs. Toshiba

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Which do you guys believe is better the Toshiba SD-4800
    or the Sony DVP-NS715P? What is the difference in the D/A converter mean?

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

is there a loss in quality with the Toshiba? Or are you simply paying for the SONY name with the other DVD player?

3. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

I am not familiar with either of those models but bought a Sony and Toshiba DVD player (in the under $150 range) this summer. I did not see a difference in quality between the two (either video or audio). Both have been reliable thusfar (2 mos.) with the Sony a bit better on damaged discs. The key differences are in the interface. Toshibas provide more front panel control (the absence on Sony is frustrating) but has poor MP3 navigation.
    If both have the features you need, I would go with the cheaper one and consider warranty extension

4. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

You'll probably get a lot of mixed feeling between these two models. When I first began researching HT, I heard nothing but bad about Sony. But I think it comes in waves. Recently, I've heard nothing too bad about them. The same goes with Toshiba.
    If you have the chance to test them, go for it and see which you like better. If you're unsure about quality (I am [​IMG] ), make sure the warranty is nice or you get a good plan from the store you buy them from. I think Best Buy offers a store warranty for pretty cheap, for example. Then you'd be set for reliability and have a physical body to return it to if you're not satisfied.

5. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

It seems to me, from my informal observations in the Software forum here, that most problems with disc compatibility occur with Toshiba players.

6. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i have a toshiba dvd, one of the cheaper models, and it works great. both companies make quality products. my concern with sony has more to do with their marketing practices (in canada) than their overall quality.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to Audio/Video Sources.