Sony DVD player problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by karthik, Mar 19, 2002.

1. karthik

karthik Auditioning

I started playing my Men In Black DVD on my 1.5 year old Sony DVD player (DVP330) and the player hung after the opening Columbia Movies banner with a C-13 error. This was a brand new DVD fresh out of the shrink wrap. I removed the DVD, lightly cleaned it and tried again and it started playing fine.
    The movie went on for about ~1.5 hrs and again froze with the same C-13 error. This time cleaning the disc did not help. To make matters worse, my player now does not recognize any other DVD or even audio CDs. It displays a "No Disc" message.
    So, should I get a cleaner disc and see if that helps? I read about some auto alignment function on Sony DVD players. Any suggestions of if I should use it and how to access it.
    Hope I don't have to take it to a service center [​IMG]

2. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Sounds like the 330 line that preceded the 360 is having the same problem.

My Sony 360 died after a year and a half of moderate use.

Beware of Sony....

To be fair other brands have had their problems too. From what I have seen some name brand players are becoming less reliable notably in their laser pick ups. The yields and the quality of these parts should be getting better NOT worse.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

4. karthik

karthik Auditioning

Any comments/suggestions on the right cleaner to use or doing alignment check? How much this would cost?

Thx

Karthik.

5. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Karthik,

The alignment adjustment is only temporary. I believe when you do this you are recalibrating the power levels on the laser and it will shorten the life of the player. I only got away with this a couple of times before my 360 would not read discs anymore.

If your machine is not reading any discs it probably would not hurt to try, but when my player reached this point it could not even read a disc during the calibration process.

If you want to try, I believe the sequence is the following to get into the menu (make sure player is in standby mode):

1. with the remote: Time

2. with the remote: clear

3. with the remote: power

Then select the auto calibration option.

Have the following discs ready.

Single layer DVD

Dual layer DVD

CD

The player will prompt you as to which disc to insert during the calibration, but as I said before I doubt that the player will even see a disc if you can't read anything now.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if any damage occurs to your player or anyone elses player who tries this calibration or does anything else in the Diagnostic mode.