What's new

Sony DVD Failure (DVP-NC655P) -- "No Disc" Message! (1 Viewer)

Robert_B

Auditioning
I have a Sony 5-disc changer (DVP-NC655P) that is about 1 year old and it cost about $229 or so... Anyway, it will not recognize a DVD or CD... It cycles through all 5 and tries to read... after each one fails the led for that disc is turned-off... until all of ths disks fail...

BTW: this has happened before with the same model and it was switched out via Best Buy long after the 30 day period...

Ultimately, the display reads "No Disc".

Any thoughts on a quick fix?

What is likely the problem?

Ever heard of such a thing?

What would it likely take to fix it?

If you think it is toast and/or not worth fixing, what do you recommend I do? Get a cheap replacement like $100-$200 range? Or, get something like a Denon 2200 for $500 or so...?

One more thing, I did run this player quite a bit... several hours per day during most days...

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, there is no quick fix for this. I hate to tell you this, but your laser went bad. I had this happen to me twice, I bought 2 Onkyo dvd players, and it happened with both of them. Different time intervals mind you, but I would never buy an Onkyo product again. Anyway, that is the problem. I can only wish you luck on getting this problem fixed with no hassles but, my father had bought 2 Sony 5-Disc CD players about 2 or 3 years apart. Both of which don't play now. He took them to Authorized Sony Service Centers, and they couldn't fix them properly. I don't mean to alarm you, but since no one else responded, I wanted to let you know what the problem was.

Robert_B

Auditioning
Thanks for the quick feedback... I guess that having this thing running a lot caused it to go out sooner--yes?

So what to do with it now?

Wanna buy a slightly used DVD player? :)

BTW: it's interesting to note that a very cheap VHS player that I bought in 1994 is still going strong.... not very good pic or audio quality, yet it still works...

So, what to replace with? I have a Loewe TV with a fabulous de-interlacer... would probably work best with a non-progressive source. I could go cheap like $100 or so and get a 3 year warranty or I could opt for something better and maybe still get a longer warranty....

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

RObert

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Spend the money and get something good. Even if it comes with progressive scan, you can disable it in the menu. Build quality costs money and you need to spend at least $500 to get it IMO. Given the quality and cost of your tv, the additional cost for a good dvd player should not be too much of a burden and will reward you with increased useful life. I would get a 5 disc Sony ES changer which has SACD, progressive scan and most important for you, a five year warranty. Should be able to get one for around $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks