What's new

Sony DVD Camcorder as DVD recorder? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, as there are some screaming deals out there on them right now.

Do any of the Sony DCR line of DVD camcorders do at least an ok job of DVD recorder duty?

I guess what I would be looking to do, would be to get rid of all my VHS stuff, and transfer it to DVD. I think I also understand the mini-dvd limitations as well associated with this.

Thanks in advance

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I think they record up to 60min on that 3" disc. My guess is that at "high quality" mode that it would be more like 30 min. Plus as a camcorder it would have the problem of being "shocked" or suddenly moved while recording. Also what about disc flaws?

IF you want one, surely there will be models with analog in on them so as to allow analog recording to DVD-R.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I think I will give it a shot.

I mean I want the camera anyways, this was only justify the purchase even more.

It has svideo in, and stereo 2 channel audio.

I will see what options may still acceptable to give me more like 90min. 2 discs would be sort of a pain for sure.

Much of my VHS stuff is getting old and really starting to deteroriate.

The 60min would be perfect for all these StarTrek original series dual episode VHS's I have at least.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

That's a good idea. I have some pre-recorded VHS titles that likely will never be on DVD and I'm wanting to transfer those to DVD-R. Some of them are REader's Digest tapes that are so obscure I really can't see why they would ever be released on DVD. Especially if they sold poorly on VHS.

That makes me wonder about something else too. Will that camcorder observe macrovision? My little Sony digital camcorder does as I tried to run a DVD through the camcorders s-video in jack one time just to see what would happen. "Copy protected" is the message I got.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I guess I will find out out... lol

I don't plan on running any dvd video though it though.
And I can deal with any weak VHS copy stuff decently enough.

But, I was looking in my VHS library over the weekend, there is a ton of fairly high quality SVHS stuff from the world tour of my old band days, I am not sure why, but I think I really want to preserve that stuff, those SVHS are getting to be 10+ years old now. Most of that stuff was recorded off of the mixing console and has quite good audio.

We will see how it goes, it's supposed to be here by xmas.
(This is actually the way big surprise gift for my significant other, I really got her snowed, telling her we could just not swing a camera money wise for her for xmas, and we should wait til after xmas for the big sales to buy one)

But if this transfer stuff works well, lets just call it a win, win, situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks